Plans from paper ship models

Here

Most any ship plan set can be used to build a scratch model providing the plans have enough detail for your build, the relationships are consistent, and the plans are accurate in scale. Depending on the details level of the plan set you might need to add the additional detail necessary for the type model you are building. Once you know the scale you can adjust to the scale of your model. The most difficult problem, for example, would be if you want to do a POF model from a plan set that does not have a lofted frame set on the plans. Either way, the rule is to keep the relationships consistent!

SamBini,

The short answer is Yes, But....
As a master paper modeler I think the main issue will be the thickness of the card stock /paper which make or break a model. The only shipyard Kit I have is the Alert and there is no indication of the thickness of the parts which is common practice for paper models, I'll explain, a paper model is not made with all of the parts on one thickness of paper (generally 67Lb Bristol stock). Structural parts are often laminated on to 1 or 2mm thick stock. other parts will be lamented to 0.5 mm stock. variances in this thickness can cause poor part fits. You will need to keep this in mind as you do this conversion.

Most Shipyard models the hull is built up using 3 layers to represent the hull Planking. The bulkheads should be at least 1mm thick. The first layer that glues onto the bulkheads is most likely copy paper. the other layers will most likely be 67Lb Bristol stock.

Now for some fun. By scanning a paper model you can change the scale to what ever you want when you print out the model. be aware that some printers will not print symmetrical . to check this add a vertical and horizontal ruler to the original model..

Jim Nunn

I used a Polish card model of a battleship, and converted it to timber and plastic card.

Back