Polish Submarine Sep

Since I have hard to find the time to sit down with a more complicated project at the moment, I had to find something a bit more easy to do.
Then I remember that I once bought a book that actually came with a model included, or maybe it was the other way around.
The title was "Polska ubåtar i Mariefred" which translates into "Polish submarines in Mariefred". It turned out to be a fascinating story about the Polish submarines which were interned in Sweden during world war 2.
The reason for writing all this is that when i bought this book I also got this:
20201205_183616-jpg.197776
20201205_183616.jpg

This modell is in 1:400 and will be built more or less straight out of the box. Since it does not contain to many pieces I have good hopes to actually finish it.
First impression is that it has good mouldings, but the lack of locating pins will complicate the building a bit.
As for painting I will follow the instructions in the kit. Partly due to lack of better sources, partly due to the fact that I think that "Mirage " is a polish company and should have a good idea of the subject.

How did Sweden get ahold of Polish Navy subs
Well, we did not really get ahold of them. They more like sort of turned up on our door-step.
After a short desperate struggle and almost out of supplies the Polish subs had to find a place to go.
Two of them managed to get to the UK, but the remaining three choosed to aim for Sweden.
Much to our surprise, on the 17 of september 1939, the first submarine "Sep" is sighted at Landsort in Stockholm outer archipelago. According to German news, all but one Polish sub has been sunk, so the surprise was even greater when the next submarine, "Rys", turns up a day later.
Finally, a week later, "Zbik" runs out of fuel and options and have to aim for neutral Sweden.
Quite a dramatic story that has almost been lost in the mist of time!

Good to hear they made safety of harbor, but I never knew the Polish Navy had any subs, not a know part of military history, due to short operations in the war.

Have fun with the kit.

Small progress is also progress. I have at least glued the three parts that makes up the hull together.
If one uses the deck part to align the two halfs of the hull it goes together quite well. I actually glued the deck to one of the halfs first and left this to dry completely.
This way I think I had an easier time to align the hull. The assembly instruction tells you to first glue the hull halfs together which I think may be tricky without any locating pegs.20201209_225350.jpg

Very interesting boat
Based on your started topic I was looking a little bit around and found this page on wikipedia

Interesting is also the fact, that the ORP Sęp was in service until 1969, so more than 30 years. The same with her sister boat ORP Orzeł

If any of you got the chance to travel in Poland take the time to stop at the maritime museum in Gdansk beside the huge collection of small river boat from all around the word they do have the complete story of the Polish Navy and they do mention those sub. If I remember correctly a 1:200 scale of that sub side cut to show the inside

Ho almost forgot you can negotiated ;) with your travel minister as Gdansk do have also wonderful Jade jewellery museum and a full street of jade jewellery store Mariacka street.

If any of you got the chance to travel in Poland take the time to stop at the maritime museum in Gdansk beside the huge collection of small river boat from all around the word they do have the complete story of the Polish Navy and they do mention those sub. If I remember correctly a 1:200 scale of that sub side cut to show the inside

Ho almost forgot you can negotiated ;) with your travel minister as Gdansk do have also wonderful Jade jewellery museum and a full street of jade jewellery store Mariacka street.
Don't forget Gdynia while on the area. I have been there a couple of times with a small bulker. Never had the time to go ashore but remember passing the destroyer Blyskawica. When times get I bit more normal I think I will go for a long weekend in the area.

Since I have hard to find the time to sit down with a more complicated project at the moment, I had to find something a bit more easy to do.
Then I remember that I once bought a book that actually came with a model included, or maybe it was the other way around.
The title was "Polska ubåtar i Mariefred" which translates into "Polish submarines in Mariefred". It turned out to be a fascinating story about the Polish submarines which were interned in Sweden during world war 2.
The reason for writing all this is that when i bought this book I also got this:
20201205_183616-jpg.197776
View attachment 197777

This modell is in 1:400 and will be built more or less straight out of the box. Since it does not contain to many pieces I have good hopes to actually finish it.
First impression is that it has good mouldings, but the lack of locating pins will complicate the building a bit.
As for painting I will follow the instructions in the kit. Partly due to lack of better sources, partly due to the fact that I think that "Mirage " is a polish company and should have a good idea of the subject.
Hallo @Sjokapten
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the submarine going?

Thank you Uwek!
Work has been halted for a while during winter. I need to get some new paint, !and sub-zero temperatures is no good when you have to use postal services.
I have also been playing with a larger vessel a couple of weeks this winter. Enough of excuses! Time to get back to the workbench.. 20210108_151338.jpg

Back