Port Jackson 1803 - by Bringo

HI
I assume that the 2nd last bulkhead is faired enough. Yep you have to twist to fit as well as bend. Its called the compund bend ! Looks like you have not pushed the planks flush with the bulkhead. Just make sure you soak the planks long enough If you do not want to use nails use map pin so that they push the plank flush to the bulk head.( I normally pin just below the plank so the edge of the map pin holds it in place. I use a nail pusher or a small hammer to push the pin in tight and make the board flush.

Thanks Paul and DJ56, I will definitely be getting map pins for future usage.
Meanwhile I manage the compound bend at the stern and I think I got it right. Please check below photos and compare with above planks which aren’t twisted. What do you guys think?

25AB29A5-3DD6-48B8-889B-E652A545DDB9.jpegDD139C0B-179E-415A-A9E2-CB1BBA7AE2EB.jpeg57BE4A3B-B689-4F1D-90F0-D92236C850C3.jpegE7108AF7-D66E-4251-A8AD-DD85D845AAA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Good morning!

I noticed that at the bow the planks have a tendency to go a bit upwards (see photo)
Should I also be twisting along with bending them at the bow so they end up being all parallel?

742484D9-51DE-4ED8-B847-607E2746A3B7.jpegU

Also what shall I do with the gap that I have in the middle?

Also what shall I do with the gap that I have in the middle?

the gap in the middle does not matter because it will be covered by the stem.

I noticed that at the bow the planks have a tendency to go a bit upwards

and that is what hull planking tends to do, it wants to follow the hull shape

by starting from the top down you will begin to run out of space at the bow, that is why you should set in the garboard the graboard and bottom planks tend to sweep up at the bow. with the bottom planks in place you can better judge the taper on the rest of the planks.

at the stern i do not want to come across as harsh or critical however the ends of the planks should twist so they sit flat on the edge of the bulkhead. A way to achieve that is to use a fast set super glue a little dab will do and then twist and lay the plank flat. It should grab in 10 seconds.

Last edited:
Ok thanks!

Any suggestions on how to fix at the stern the first 3-4 planks I haven’t twisted properly? These are now too stiff to twist without breaking.

9E6769F7-EEE5-4E20-BA9F-4A35A46FF7F6.jpeg

Any suggestions on how to fix at the stern the first 3-4 planks I haven’t twisted properly? These are now too stiff to twist without breaking.

many years ago a model builder friend once told me it is not only about how to build ship models but also how to take them apart

when I did the planking on the royal James I ripped it all off and started again. what I suggest is cutting the planks back about 3 or 4 bulkheads and rip off the planks that do not sit flat on the last bulkhead. then use new planking and soak it well then set it on the hull bend and twist it and let it dry. Remove the dry plank and glue it.

what I do is first figure out how to hold the wet plank in place first

yes I know the mind set of "oh #**&** I have to do it again but this is also about learning and getting better so if you have to redo it than that's the way it goes

Last edited:
YES IT IS, SPENT ABOUT 4 weeks on the top rails on the BLANFORD BUILD, TAKING IT APART AND REDOING IT, I AM STILL NOT SATISFIED MAY DO IT OVER AGAIN LATTER. Don

Bending plank suggestion

Only if you want to invest in a good tool and you are planning to build other ship in the future
You have this at Model Expo for $20us
2019-08-17_13-37-19.jpg
Or this (this is what I use) at Micro-Mark for around $30us
2019-08-17_13-43-05.jpg
Ans as it was said before your plank must be wet

Take acetone and pour all the connection .Everything should dissolve. You need to bevel all frames well before gluing. The back is even different because after the upholstery you must have the width of the stern

12.jpg
13.jpg

Watching this with awe. Just picked up this kit from a guy whose father had started it. It is an old version, over 20 years as there is a catalogue from Modellers Shipyard, Number 10. saying they're in Nowra NSW, and mention Aeropiccola models, which have been out of business for around 20 years. Some variations, but not many.

Watching this with awe. Just picked up this kit from a guy whose father had started it. It is an old version, over 20 years as there is a catalogue from Modellers Shipyard, Number 10. saying they're in Nowra NSW, and mention Aeropiccola models, which have been out of business for around 20 years. Some variations, but not many.
Hi Rob. What's on the front of the catalog 10?
Regards Allan.

Hi Rob. What's on the front of the catalog 10?
Regards Allan.
Hi Allan,
Rather than trying to explain a family sitting around a coffee table with a model ship, I have included a photo. I have found out Modelers Central bought the business some 18 years ago, but were helpful to supply a shortage of 2 timbers. One they had, the other they offered a similar, Mahogany instead of Australian Cherry. I probably had some mahogany I could have used, but has given me an opportunity to open the door with them and get information. Were you associated with Modellers Shipyard, or in the photo?

Catalogue 10.jpg

Back