Port Jackson Schooner - First Build

Finally completed building my first model wooden ship, started September 1995 and completed September 2020, this is my version of Modelers Shipyard “Port Jackson Schooner”.
There are plenty of things not quite right and things I can improve on but I am very happy with the overall result.Port Jackson Schooner (1).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (2).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (3).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (4).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (5).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (6).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (7).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (8).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (9).jpgPort Jackson Schooner (10).jpg

Very well done - Congratulations !
Hope your next project will start soon and that you will have more spare time to work on the model

Thanks and yes the DVD I brought helped me a lot especially with the rigging.
Hi again Richie.
When I designed that kit for "Modellers Shipyard" there was a full set of construction, rigging plans and schedule.
It's a bit sobering to think that was 1987.
Was that included in your kit?
I recently built a "Krait" for someone and I thought that the kit was not up to scratch.
There were no plans in the kit and the modelling standard in the instruction booklet was poor, although the production was good.
The laser cutting was very good
But expecting round components to be made from laser cut discs of plywood is not acceptable in my opinion.
Cutting costs by trying to use such methods really lowers the overall quality. Far better to add a few more pieces of timber.
However the model turned out OKP6232669ab.JPG20201208_183438.jpg20201208_183505.jpg20201208_183641.jpg

Hi again Richie.
When I designed that kit for "Modellers Shipyard" there was a full set of construction, rigging plans and schedule.
It's a bit sobering to think that was 1987.
Was that included in your kit?
I recently built a "Krait" for someone and I thought that the kit was not up to scratch.
There were no plans in the kit and the modelling standard in the instruction booklet was poor, although the production was good.
The laser cutting was very good
But expecting round components to be made from laser cut discs of plywood is not acceptable in my opinion.
Cutting costs by trying to use such methods really lowers the overall quality. Far better to add a few more pieces of timber.
However the model turned out OKView attachment 197647View attachment 197648View attachment 197649View attachment 197650
Hi Alpayed,

Forgive me if I have this wrong, are you Allan Tyler, the name on the drawings.

Yes looks like I had all the plans pictured above but not the map picture in the box.
The written instructions in the booklet I thought were pretty good, don't know how many times I read and re-read through them while doing the build as I don't have a maritime background so it was all new to me.
The most difficult part I found was following the rigging with the rings and ring bolts and how to tie everything off etc, the only detailed rigging diagram was on sheet 1 but it was sometimes hard to follow all the lines hence watching the DVD to get more of a visual was helpful to me, without it I probably would have ended up with a different result, it also helped with clarifying some of the other areas and a few tips along the way.

I did enjoy making the small pieces from bare wood but scratch building a whole ship might be a step too far for me.
It was a difference I noticed in my new build from Occre a few of the parts are laser cut plywood but they needed to be built up from wood for the Schooner.

Had a look at some of your work, it is just beautiful but I know I am a long way off getting anywhere near your level.

Cheers

P.S The bowsprit is in 2 parts and offset, did I get that right as that was how it looked on the plans, if so was there a reason it is like that.

Cheers20200806_105755_HDR.jpgMy Port Jackson Schooner (1).jpgMy Port Jackson Schooner (12).jpg

Finally completed building my first model wooden ship, started September 1995 and completed September 2020, this is my version of Modelers Shipyard “Port Jackson Schooner”.
There are plenty of things not quite right and things I can improve on but I am very happy with the overall result.View attachment 182641View attachment 182642View attachment 182643View attachment 182644View attachment 182645View attachment 182646View attachment 182647View attachment 182648View attachment 182649View attachment 182650
This is a very nice and well done piece or pieces of work by you. It presents very well. The years invested had paid dividends. Rich (PT-2)

Hi Alpayed,

Forgive me if I have this wrong, are you Allan Tyler, the name on the drawings.

Yes looks like I had all the plans pictured above but not the map picture in the box.
The written instructions in the booklet I thought were pretty good, don't know how many times I read and re-read through them while doing the build as I don't have a maritime background so it was all new to me.
The most difficult part I found was following the rigging with the rings and ring bolts and how to tie everything off etc, the only detailed rigging diagram was on sheet 1 but it was sometimes hard to follow all the lines hence watching the DVD to get more of a visual was helpful to me, without it I probably would have ended up with a different result, it also helped with clarifying some of the other areas and a few tips along the way.

I did enjoy making the small pieces from bare wood but scratch building a whole ship might be a step too far for me.
It was a difference I noticed in my new build from Occre a few of the parts are laser cut plywood but they needed to be built up from wood for the Schooner.

Had a look at some of your work, it is just beautiful but I know I am a long way off getting anywhere near your level.

Cheers

P.S The bowsprit is in 2 parts and offset, did I get that right as that was how it looked on the plans, if so was there a reason it is like that.

CheersView attachment 197793View attachment 197794View attachment 197795
Hi Richie.
Yes that's me.
It's good that the original plans etc are all included. Thanks for clearing that up.
Don't get me wrong I love the accuracy of laser cutting, but the plans have to be accurate also or its a waste of time.
CAD was in it's infancy in 1987 so PJS was all hand drawn. If you go over to my intro post you will see some CAD drawings I have uploaded.
Don't sell yourself short. You have done a great job on your PJS.
The boom was offset to allow easy rigging of the topmast stay. S17 S18.

Regards
Allan Tyler

Excellent - Very well done. I love the tones of the wood. I would like to add this to the showcase gallery.

Hi Richie.
Yes that's me.
It's good that the original plans etc are all included. Thanks for clearing that up.
Don't get me wrong I love the accuracy of laser cutting, but the plans have to be accurate also or its a waste of time.
CAD was in it's infancy in 1987 so PJS was all hand drawn. If you go over to my intro post you will see some CAD drawings I have uploaded.
Don't sell yourself short. You have done a great job on your PJS.
The boom was offset to allow easy rigging of the topmast stay. S17 S18.

Regards
Allan Tyler
Thank you for your kind words Allan, I never expected I would be able to chat with the architect when I brought the kit, that's a great advantage of a community like this one.
I had another look at your intro page and had to stop and admire your craftsmanship on those models, it's stunning and the CAD drawings give a great insight.
I will stick with it and strive to keep getting better.

Cheers
Richard

Excellent - Very well done. I love the tones of the wood. I would like to add this to the showcase gallery.

Wow thank you Donnie, I shall take that as a big compliment and would feel very privileged to have it displayed in the showcase gallery.

Must say I am suprised in what appears to be some sudden interest in this as it was originally posted at the beginning of October.

Really nice work. I ordered this kit a week or so ago, nice to have something to reference.

Having the gentleman who created this on here is pretty cool too.
Thank you, it's a really nice kit and I enjoyed the build although mine being 25 years old there may have been some updates since then, enjoy your build any any queries let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Back