Posting my correct Navy Rate

EXCELLENT video...... And some of the related ones as well.
Thank you.!
I am glad that it worked for you. Let me know of your rope making trials and if any end up in rigging a model. Mine so far have been for the ships naval cannon model where I reworked the kit rigging and falls.

One item coming to mind that most SoS builders are already aware of but related to handing of lines, purchased or walked, from a navy seaman's training book on coiling down a line laying it up in circles to flemish down a line on deck with the bitter end in the center, Right-laid line, cable-laid, is laid down clockwise; left hand line, hawser-laid, is laid down counter-clockwise. When making simulated hanks over belying pins or on a deck, the process is greatly simplified and assisted by looking at the hand of the line and making the coils in the correct direction for a more neat series to be looped off and placed over the belaying pin.
This handing of hawser and cable is well illustrated in one of the four volumes by J. Boudriot XIV Rigging, pp 100 - 103. with the best diagram on page 100, figure 263. Photo attached. The following pages have drawings of the old ropewalks and operation.

Attachments

• Line Handing.jpg
    Line Handing.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 10
Absolutely...
Let me add one additional point. I will use generic terms...
Whichever direction your basic “strands” are twisted, the final “lay” of the rope should always be opposite. In other words, if you twist your strands clockwise (right hand), then the final lay of your rope/line should be the opposite direction (counter/anti clockwise— left hand).
This keeps the individual strands “crossing over” each other.
Obviously, if you start with left hand strands, then your final “lay” will be right hand.

Absolutely...
Let me add one additional point. I will use generic terms...
Whichever direction your basic “strands” are twisted, the final “lay” of the rope should always be opposite. In other words, if you twist your strands clockwise (right hand), then the final lay of your rope/line should be the opposite direction (counter/anti clockwise— left hand).
This keeps the individual strands “crossing over” each other.
Obviously, if you start with left hand strands, then your final “lay” will be right hand.
Good summary. Then, attending to the hand when coiling or flemishing it down can be worked with for easier results. I didn't understand that in my first attempts flaking a line down with a naval cannon model. It worked OK in one way but when I tried to have a mirror of that on the other side of the carrige it kept "jumping up" which was frustrating and I then resorted to a watered white glue to hold it where it really didn't want to be. The learning at the beginning of things is one aspect that I enjoy but can spend needless time and expenses along the way having not sought out suggestions from more experienced people whom I did not know of.

I took a pic of my crow and used it as my avatar. That way it shows my military rate/rating, plus, there is the rank/rate symbol on my pages for the rating the site gives out regarding participation.

EJ

I took a pic of my crow and used it as my avatar. That way it shows my military rate/rating, plus, there is the rank/rate symbol on my pages for the rating the site gives out regarding participation.

EJ
Good idea for me to also post. The photo stereo viewer looks more like a mask of Zoro but those were still being used in the 60s straight out of WWII

Back