PRINTZ FRIDERICH (1761 - 1780) - danish 70-gun Ship of the Line - 1:48 by Karl I. Malcha

Also this post was lost - so now once more.......
The next step was the second floor of the powder room

The powder room lower floor
L1010743.JPG

L1010744.JPG

L1010745.JPG

It was very helpful, that the element is removable, so the walls and interieur can be finished outside of the hull
The upper floor
L1010748.JPG

L1010749.JPG

L1010752.JPG

L1010753.JPG

L1010754.JPG

L1010757.JPG

Many thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Last edited:
It was very helpful, that the element is removable, so the walls and interieur can be finished outside of the hull
What a brilliant idea -removable elements. At first, as most of us, I was looking at the images and didn't read comments. I thought it would be nice to make it a removable element for educational purposes. Many thanks for this excursion into the history, and not to mention a precision build. Also, I like the visible contrast between the light wood and the main timber. What kind of timber is lighter wood?

The lighter wood is in German "Pfaffenhütchen" or "Spindelstrauch" (the small red fruits look like the biretta of catholic clergymen): Evonymus europaea.
It is a very tough wood with nearly invisible fine grain, a little softer than boxwood (and therefore easy to glue) but of nearly the same light yellow colour. I use it for scraping the mouldings and making very thin strips (see page 1). I used it in the powder room for making some more contrast in the darkness of the hold.
In former times they made detailed wood turned pieces and marquetry from it.
I have got my logs from a friend who has cleaned up his garden many years ago. I think it's not available in the timber trade.

The lighter wood is in German "Pfaffenhütchen" or "Spindelstrauch" (the small red fruits look like the biretta of catholic clergymen): Evonymus europaea.
It is a very tough wood with nearly invisible fine grain, a little softer than boxwood (and therefore easy to glue) but of nearly the same light yellow colour. I use it for scraping the mouldings and making very thin strips (see page 1). I used it in the powder room for making some more contrast in the darkness of the hold.
In former times they made detailed wood turned pieces and marquetry from it.
I have got my logs from a friend who has cleaned up his garden many years ago. I think it's not available in the timber trade.
Much appreciated for your prompt answer. We have a similar color timber Holly timber. It is nearly white color and will not have visible grain, it is not as hard as boxwood.

Hallo Oliver,
the planking on the sides and the decks is first coated with sanding sealer, rubbed with very fine steel wool (grade 0000) and then protected with a coat of
oil/wax for furniture, at once wiped off with a soft cloth.
The frames are just coated with the oil/wax, also wiped off and some days later rubbed a little with steel wool.
Kalliboot

Thank you, Kalliboot, for this informations,
I did a lot of test with the Schnellschleifgrundierung, Hartöl, and Steelwool this weekend.
I think the way is correct. My mistake was that all the timbers has the same colour and now its difficult to show the different timbers and the partinglines.

20190728_094513.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your kind words and likes - it is highly appreciated
The work is going on - some more impressions with the powder room structure / box installed inside the hull

L1010838.JPG

L1010841.JPG

L1010843.JPG

L1010791.JPG

L1010781.JPG

L1010786.JPG

L1010805.JPG

L1010882.JPG

Many thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ....

It is one of the BEST work I have ever seen, apart from 1-2 Frech and 2 Rissian builders. To me as Danish Born and have built the Sistership Norske Love (from Kit)I am very proud of this build. It is like a Rubens, Van Gock work, far out of reach from most. WELL DONE
Many thanks for the compliments, but it is just the work of ten fingers and some tools.
We have had a visit to the Laesoe Museum in summer. They are excavating the wrecksite of the Printz Friderich (she ran aground on September 28th 1780) and show some finds in their exhibition "Havets hemmiligheder".
Many greetings from just south of the danish border.
Karl

Back