Professional Building Slip

Well, I decided that I would treat myself to the following. I have been on the fence about this device for over a year and finally my finger "accidentally" pressed the "order" button.
It's probably not perfect, but I am anxious to find out. The concept seems sound anyways.

View attachment 277198
Been looking for this for more than a year! Where did you find this?

Been looking for this for more than a year! Where did you find this?

Yep, out of stock already…. Must have had a couple on the shelf. I don’t think these are being produced anymore… always out of stock

Yeah but if you scroll down it says that it can only be shipped to “European Union countries only” and even all the UK suppliers say “unavailable.” I have been trying to find one for a long time, but I gave up

If you ain't buyin' you start dyin' and if you ain't buildin' you ain't livin'.
I’m sure there is philosophical wisdom in there somewhere, “I think, therefore I am” looking into setting up a gantry type system for my POF Granado/Enterprise builds instead of buying this….. :)

Well I received the slip a couple of days ago. Everything looks fine.
Nothing broken and nothing missing. Lots of bubble wrap.
Instructions are fine.

I am not going to tackle this project until I finish my boat. I'll need it for the next one though.

Yeah but if you scroll down it says that it can only be shipped to “European Union countries only” and even all the UK suppliers say “unavailable.” I have been trying to find one for a long time, but I gave up
That's 'cos UK isn't in the EU anymore. There's stacks of stuff we could buy from mainland Europe, but no longer.

I built my own based on this one, using 9mm & 18mm MDF, T-track & T-bolts, star knobs, & 6mm PTFE (for the keel clamps). Plus I made a pair of extensions for very big ships, eg. Montanes. Set in the appropriate orientation the hull can be rotated 360*. I find it ideal for holding the hull rock solid when cutting gun ports & the first few rows of upper planking, but not for the rest, I prefer the hull inverted on my work surface.

I built my own based on this one, using 9mm & 18mm MDF, T-track & T-bolts, star knobs, & 6mm PTFE (for the keel clamps). Plus I made a pair of extensions for very big ships, eg. Montanes. Set in the appropriate orientation the hull can be rotated 360*. I find it ideal for holding the hull rock solid when cutting gun ports & the first few rows of upper planking, but not for the rest, I prefer the hull inverted on my work surface.
Did you forget the pic?:) Love to see it…

Photos attached. The ship can be turned thro 180* either right way up or inverted. I guess, depending on ship size, & full vertical set up of the clamps a full 360* 'roll' could be achieved - haven't tried that yet.

Stuart

will do. i am waiting for the customs and stuff like that. I ordered it from the UK because it is on back order in the US and there is no one in Canada that sells this thing. It's called a Professional Building Slip, from Hobbyzone. I seriously got to stop buying stuff. It never ends...
Hi JackSparrow, I pushed the button too last evenning. Also waiting for tracking and custom costs. Purchased with the agreement of the admiral LOL!

Photos attached. The ship can be turned thro 180* either right way up or inverted. I guess, depending on ship size, & full vertical set up of the clamps a full 360* 'roll' could be achieved - haven't tried that yet.

Stuart
Well maybe until you start adding bow sprint and masts or even mast stubs.

I just received a used on and it looks good for support while working planking and sanding and work on top side before masts and sprints block the rotation.

I just have to figure out how to use it now, mine came with parts, but no instructions, other than what I saw on U Tube.

You might want to do a search on U Tube, one posting was from a ship builder who help clarify some issues not properly addressed in the assembly instructions.

Kurt

Hi, did yuou know the lenght of the screw bolts in mm ?, I would like to orders some srew knobs before receiving the slip. It is suppose to be M5 in dia. But the lenght ???

Thanks.

Michel

Well maybe until you start adding bow sprint and masts or even mast stubs.

I just received a used on and it looks good for support while working planking and sanding and work on top side before masts and sprints block the rotation.

I just have to figure out how to use it now, mine came with parts, but no instructions, other than what I saw on U Tube.

You might want to do a search on U Tube, one posting was from a ship builder who help clarify some issues not properly addressed in the assembly instructions.

Kurt
By the time I've got to the masts etc, the hull would be finished & mounted on her stand pedestals screwed up in to the hull. I only use the rotation when wworking on the planking etc.

Hi, I finally got mine and start the built of it. It was very easy to remove the piece with a good knife and very little and gentle sanding let the finition with very good appearance.

Thanks for all the infos provided here to help us.

View attachment 328285View attachment 328286
I am looking forwrad to see this jig complete - and maybe you can tell us your first impressions and early experience using it....

Back