PROXXON MICRO LATHE DB 250 with accessories - UNBOXING

Well it's more refined than the $50 dollar ones on Amazon but the outcome will probably be the same with the cheap ones. If you have a decent set of cutting tools all the machine has to do is spin the wood.

Well it's more refined than the $50 dollar ones on Amazon but the outcome will probably be the same with the cheap ones. If you have a decent set of cutting tools all the machine has to do is spin the wood.

On the big picture, and basic outcomes, you are correct. But the Proxxon allows you to use longer and more thick pieces of wood. Bottom line, they are totally different. I have the Amazon $50 and this Proxxon. For very small structures I see a use of the $50. Like @dockattner did.

If you compare the $50 lathe vs Proxxon lathe and any other professional bigger lathe. All spin the wood, but not all can do the same job.

PROXXON MICRO LATHE DB 250 with accessories - UNBOXING​

(with examples of woodworking)​

Nice video, as always are the ones you do !!!. I like that you show in detail a couple of builts. Probably the more common ones that we all try to do on our models using a lathe. Your video, allowed me to see your use of the tools. That is the point where I strugle the most. What tool I need to use to do this or that, etc .

Thank you !!
Daniel

Yes your right the Proxxon has 10" between centers not bad for a small machine. But will a little red-neck engineering the 50 dollar one could be stretched out to 10" or more. :)

Yes, but I was pointing to the benefits of using a "longer" piece of wood, that can be introduced through a back hole, like in much more expensive lathes. You can see that on the video. Nevertheless, when you start to add and modify your $50 I bet that the margin to the $200 is significantly reduced, and it will never be the same tool.

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: there are green and red apples. Both are apples, but they taste diferent. :)

Yes, but I was pointing to the benefits of using a "longer" piece of wood, that can be introduced through a back hole, like in much more expensive lathes. You can see that on the video. Nevertheless, when you start to add and modify your $50 I bet that the margin to the $200 is significantly reduced, and it will never be the same tool.

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: there are green and red apples. Both are apples, but they taste diferent. :)
Daniel
But the outcome is the same, you eat them , then crap them out ! :p

I have this one and I can tell you it works perfect, even brass is possible. And the Chuck is hollow, so you can place in long parts. (Max. 12 mm. in diameter)
The motor is very strong and that's the difference with the 50 bucks one. I got mine from the second hand market. Actually I got 2 for less the price of 1 new. So I extended the lenght between the centers to 22 inch.

nice machine. the chucks n centers look like good quality. the build looks very sturdy. yes a cheap one probably will be sufficient but what are runnouts in comparrison? how well do they center n hold their positions?

ive used my floor delta drill press as a vertical lathe n it did the job but its using a hammer to kill a fly. ive rigged my hand drill as a lathe n it too worked fine but it was a real pita keeping it fixed in my jig.

so regardless of what you use, this lathe looks like a fine tool to have in a shop.

thanks for sharing... nice video.

DB250 is a multitool Thumbsup

It must just screw off probably with left hand threads.
I haven't tried vice grips on the shaft. Pliers don't grasp hard enough. There's not a lot to get a bite on. Are there any different heads to use with the $50 lathe?

IMG_4282.JPGIMG_4283.JPG

But. still the Proxxon seems to be a nice small lathe for the price. Looks like around $250-$300 with the accessories.

Last edited:
I haven't tried vice grips on the shaft. Pliers don't grasp hard enough. There's not a lot to get a bite on. Are there any different heads to use with the $50 lathe?

View attachment 458393View attachment 458394

But. still the Proxxon seems to be a nice small lathe for the price. Looks like around $250-$300 with the accessories.
It must unscrew. I was wrong when I said left hand threads it must be regular right hand thread that way it won't unscrew it self. It you look on the web you'll see other brands of these cheap lathe and some come with small face plates 3 and 4 jaw chucks and sanding disks so they must all be built the same way. You just have to figure out what thread it is and search for mini lathe attachments.

take a look inside the open jaws of the chuck to see if it has a screw in there... that screw will be a left hand screw. once the screw is out, you can use the chuck key in a side hole with the chuck fully open to tap on it to break it loose to unscrew right handed just like you would on a hand drill. oh see if your machine has a shaft lock? my drill has a hole for a drift pin to lock the motor shaft.

im sure there are videos how to remove a drill chuck.

Last edited:
Back