Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

I may be sorry, but I've gone ahead and bought a mini lathe in anticipation of replacing small diameter warped plastic masts and yards with wood or brass....even aluminum rod using only files and sandpaper. These small lathes appear to have no particular pedigree that's obvious to me outside of they are probably all from the same factory, the differences being the name tag and/or distributor, and day of the week manufacture. It came with a round piece to hold larger diameter pieces, saw blade, sanding disk. Seems to me most small motor tool sanding and cutoff discs will work with this as well. This particular unit has the adjustable tail stock. Anyway, for the cost of it and free shipping....well....I''ve spent more on less.
tlT5bHT.jpg

....and the results of about 2 minutes work with a file and sandpaper. Mikey likes it! I took an easy approach with file and sandpaper and the 7 speed motor showed no stress or appreciable loss of rpm.

PAvUCTC.jpeg

and the lathe fits in a small box on a shelf when done. Hope it doesn't crap out anytime soon.
Comments and observations welcome.

I may be sorry, but I've gone ahead and bought a mini lathe in anticipation of replacing small diameter warped plastic masts and yards with wood or brass....even aluminum rod using only files and sandpaper. These small lathes appear to have no particular pedigree that's obvious to me outside of they are probably all from the same factory, the differences being the name tag and/or distributor, and day of the week manufacture. It came with a round piece to hold larger diameter pieces, saw blade, sanding disk. Seems to me most small motor tool sanding and cutoff discs will work with this as well. This particular unit has the adjustable tail stock. Anyway, for the cost of it and free shipping....well....I''ve spent more on less.
tlT5bHT.jpg

....and the results of about 2 minutes work with a file and sandpaper. Mikey likes it! I took an easy approach with file and sandpaper and the 7 speed motor showed no stress or appreciable loss of rpm.

PAvUCTC.jpeg

and the lathe fits in a small box on a shelf when done. Hope it doesn't crap out anytime soon.
Interesting little gadget. Who makes and sells it??

Jan

Pathfinder, I found this on Amazon under 'mini lathe'. Vevor is a familiar name that stands out, but doing some comparative shopping shows that despite the name they essentially all use the same parts but for minor changes to the motor case and sometimes the ways and tailstock. Bachin, Berxol, YaeWoo, etc., take your pick. I don't believe it will stand up to heavy work but it's life with me will be a light duty one. i chose this particular model for the 100 watt rating, it's quiet and runs well.....so far. But really, for the laughingly low prices, one's as good as the other.

Last edited:
They are available through Amazon. Just search for "lathe".
Pathfinder, I found this on Amazon under 'mini lathe'. Vevor is a familiar name that stands out, but doing some comparative shopping shows that despite the name they essentially all use the same parts but for minor changes to the motor case and sometimes the ways and tailstock. Bachin, Berxol, YaeWoo, etc., take your pick. I don't believe it will stand up to heavy work but it's
s life with me will be a light duty one. i chose this particular model for the 100 watt rating, it's quiet and runs well.....so far. But really, for the laughingly low prices, one's as good as the other.
Thanks for the information.

Jan

I spill more wine than that on my shirt each week, so I consider it to have been free ROTF.
...there are better ways to use wine than spill on the shirts. Wine has been used for many purposes throughout history, including as a food accompaniment, a medication, and a religious symbol. :p ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF

tlT5bHT.jpg

PAvUCTC.jpeg

I've had this lathe for over 3 years and still going strong. I've only had to re-align the motor shaft a few times with the screws at the chuck end. I paid about AU$50 and I reckon it was money well spent.

The mini lathes are available in different versions. Look at the power and speed of the motor. I have seen machines as small as 150 W. Sheet steel base or aluminium profile base. The accessories that come with it but also the type of pinole is something you should pay attention to. For the lathe with aluminium base, many attachments are available separately and you can expand the machine as desired. Even a vertical milling machine for on it is a possibility. The biggest choice you have on Aliexpress. Prises from 22 to 90 euro.

I’ve had one of these little <$30. Units for a few years. Works great although the lathe tools that came with it are a joke. It’s come in handy when I make masts and spares or when the white metal that came in the kit was unacceptable.
Made a replacement windlass and buckets that (IMHO) look much better.
IMG_7960.jpeg

IMG_7961.jpeg

IMG_7962.jpeg

Back