• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Queen Elizabeth II 1/1200 by Revell

@Ignatius27 I think it is too large for me :D I cannot afford the space for the model! So being honest, I am considering Aoshima/IMAI 1:350 Esmeralda. But only when I finish my Gorch Fock series (yes. Tovarisch is only the first in the line) :cool:
Boatman - Good call on the Esmeralda 1/350 scale kit. She would be a smaller model, so the rigging might be more challenging, but the Esmeralda is a beautiful ship at any scale. I took a tour of Gorch Fock when she was in Boston this summer for Sail250. My observations: Gorch Fock is big and beautiful. The sailors and crew live in tight but we'll appointed cabins, have all the luxuries of a cruise ship, and eat very well. There are several good Gorch Fock build logs here on SoS.
 
Hey @Ignatius27 - yes, I know, and honestly, while working on Tovarisch (ex. "GorchFock", 1933) behind the hood I am preparing the builds of her sister ships - "Gorch Fock II" 1958, USCG "Eagle" (ex. "Horst Wessel" 1936), NRP "Sagres" (ex. "Albert Leo Schlageter" 1937) and "Mircea" 1938 - this is why the initial build takes so long! I'm doing five builds in a line. :confused: Probably, I will also make another Tovarisch/GorchFock from the "Operation Sail" in early 70s, as she was very different, but famous in those days! Stay tuned!
 
Last edited:
Wow...I saw USCG Eagle, Sagres and Mircea (and of course GF) at Sail250. All incredible tall ships that come alive when you meet their international crews. Your multi-ship project has the benefit of having all living breathing original vessels, not replica ships like Mayflower II or Bluenose II. My two multi-ship projects are six Herreshoff designed yachts/torpedo boats and six 17th Century Dutch merchant/warships. So we know how to dream big!

You sure you don't want to include "Amerigo Vespucci"? She is often described as the "most beautiful masted ship in the world"! When she came into Boston Harbor at Sail250 she was the only tall ship escorted by 6 tugs...all the others, including the massive "Dar Mlodzieski" only needed 3 or 4 tugs to berth.
 
Back
Top