Questions about lumber options for the canoe build.

If you live in Europe, it’s very reasonable. Here in the west, it’s still a decent deal as long as you are not pushed for time and/or are willing to wait.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes...
Also inside Europe, the parcels will go into quarantine - so no difference in this.
I guess it will not take so long, like the russian post told - imagine the necessary storage capacities for all parcels leaving Russia and the necessary organisation of going in and going out
We will see

While waiting on lumber from two vendors, I have stumbled on a couple of other sources. Well, "stumbled" is not really correct. I knew about two of them already, having previously purchased some wood from them for a couple of game tables. I ordered some planks from them and they promised (both of them) that they would get them shipped quickly.... We'll see.!!
As soon as they show up, I'll clean them up and take some pictures. This is not "standard" ship building material, I don't think...?? More like some "special" stuff for "special purpose". Oh....except for the boxwood.!!
I'll probably never use this stuff.....but you never know.!!

Pictures to follow.

If you can cut your own strip wood, it is easy to substitute with any other species: keep in mind that you need something that will bend easy for the planking and ribs.
The rest, like the decks and and other parts, can be made from thicker stuff shaped by hand.
For example, in this case, the deck was made from thicker lumber. Cannot really see from the photo, but there is a slight curve up following the center line. It can make for an attractive detail that is easy to do with a scraper or by sanding to shape. When finished the edge towards the inside of the canoe can be sanded down to required thickness. Realistically, the deck could be fashioned from 1/4" material if you want to spend the time working the accentuated shape.

_DSC6191.jpg

G

It will be interesting to see how these little guys develop. I love the overall design, but I may use a little "creative license" on one or two of mine. I know the "look" will change a little because of some decorative elements, but I MAY change a few 'design elements' too.!! Along with some material variations and a few specialized "techniques" (...:eek:o_OAlien...heaven forbid...), my canoes WILL be enough different. I'm really looking forward to trying out some wood variations.!!!

That is actually the purpose of this whole "group thing" participation. My hope is that everyone includes some personal touches to their canoe model: these may even be structural deviation as to more / less rounded, higher stems, tiny / large decks, etc.... . That is the beauty of building small crafts (water crafts that is) such as this, it is easy to use some kind of artistic licence to create something personal, not being bound by the design or historical data. Something triggering memories ..... or not...
To a certain extent, paddling a canoe is an expression of freedom in our modern time, and building one can be an extension of that freedom: even a miniature canoe.
G.

Gilles, one thought I had was a Kayak canoe, top enclosed except personal opening, with some kind of cloth sleeve attached. Maybe a hatch in front and back top deck like modern ones have. A shorter narrow version, maybe 3/4 size of 17" size.

Gilles, one thought I had was a Kayak canoe, top enclosed except personal opening, with some kind of cloth sleeve attached. Maybe a hatch in front and back top deck like modern ones have. A shorter narrow version, maybe 3/4 size of 17" size.

Or you can wait for my next construction guide :) and go with a full wood strip kayak.

_DSC6455 crop copy copy.jpg

_DSC9277 jpg.jpg

One in the making::

_DSC6236 detail.jpg

G.

I'm guessing that most folks here have heard this, but JIC....
I received a call from Ev (Dave's SWMBO...). She was collecting payment information for the wood order. She tells me that Dave is cutting lumber and getting orders together. Shipment apparently will not happen this week...maybe next week, or.??
¿Quien sabe?

On another post on selecting wood types, he said this is time he travels at times to select and collect new timber purchases to add to his barn to start drying for future use. A busy time of year for him. And he has to have time to do his hobby work. He stays active in the forums, so he is not just sitting around.

Back