Ragusian Carrack by jack.aubrey - Marisstella - 1:59 scale

Wednesday 6 November 2019

Further small progresses . . . . this time it's up to the mast.

For the future I have decided that I will limit myself in posting messages only when significant steps in setting up the rigging are complete, otherwise I think to run the risk of being too much repetitive.

So I give you a rendez-vous for other images and comments when I'll finish the installation of all the standing rigging, a milestone that seems to me adequately representative to show and explain.

Greetings, Jack.Aubrey.

01 Ragusian Carrack/06112019/IMG_20191106_170332.jpg

02 Ragusian Carrack/06112019/IMG_20191106_170339.jpg

03 Ragusian Carrack/06112019/IMG_20191106_170342.jpg

04 Ragusian Carrack/06112019/IMG_20191106_170401.jpg

Monday 18 November 2019

Standing rigging is finally over . . . . rat lines obviously were the major, boring effort.

01 Ragusian Carrack/18112019/IMG_20191118_165745.jpg

02 Ragusian Carrack/18112019/IMG_20191118_165759.jpg

03 Ragusian Carrack/18112019/IMG_20191118_165809.jpg

04 Ragusian Carrack/18112019/IMG_20191118_165815.jpg

05 Ragusian Carrack/18112019/IMG_20191118_165818.jpg

Friday 29 November 2019

I'm working to prepare the sails. In total there are five sails: one on the bowsprit, one on the foremast, two on the mainmast and finally a triangular sail on the mizzen mast. To consider them finished I have to wait for my wife to sew stitches around their perimeter, task I prefer to have her do as I don't feel enough good for it.

The first image shows the main mainmast sail. I have greatly reduced the height of this sail because I want to present it curled up the main yard and therefore the task would be easier to manage with less amount of fabric.

01 Ragusian Carrack/28112019/IMG_20191128_155621.jpg

Here the lateen sail of the mizzen mast . . I think I will present it wrapped on the yard.

02 Ragusian Carrack/28112019/IMG_20191128_155613.jpg

Here is the upper sail of the mainmast that will be shown unfolded . .

03 Ragusian Carrack/28112019/IMG_20191128_155601.jpg

The sail of the bowsprit, shown unfolded . . I think to redo some sewing here resulting too coarse.

04 Ragusian Carrack/28112019/IMG_20191128_155548.jpg

The fore sail to be presented wrapped on the foreyard.

05 Ragusian Carrack/28112019/IMG_20191128_155553.jpg

That's all for now, cheers, Jack.

Monday, December 9th, 2019

In the ten days since my last message I dedicated very little time to modeling: all I managed to do was finishing two of the five sails that would now be ready to be fixed on their respective spars.

Unfortunately the day I have to leave my mother-in-law's house free (I remember that it was sold) is approaching and there are still many activities to do to free all the rooms. So, even if ahead of my original plans, I find myself in the need to dismantle my workshop and move everything inside it to a temporary location (I hope for as little time as possible) +/- by the end of the year.

Consequence is a mandatory stop to the modeling activities related to the Ragusian Carrack for an indefinite period of time. Obviously, when I'll be less busy it should be possible to resume work on the sails and on the final set-up of the rigging, activities that I theoretically could perform at home, but now it's early to have a accurate plan.

I am therefore greeting all those who are following or have followed my log hoping to write and read news soon. In the meantime, I offer all my best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, in case we don't have to hear ourselves in the coming weeks.

Best regards, Jack.Aubrey.

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative

Monday, December 9th, 2019

In the ten days since my last message I dedicated very little time to modeling: all I managed to do was finishing two of the five sails that would now be ready to be fixed on their respective spars.

Unfortunately the day I have to leave my mother-in-law's house free (I remember that it was sold) is approaching and there are still many activities to do to free all the rooms. So, even if ahead of my original plans, I find myself in the need to dismantle my workshop and move everything inside it to a temporary location (I hope for as little time as possible) +/- by the end of the year.

Consequence is a mandatory stop to the modeling activities related to the Ragusian Carrack for an indefinite period of time. Obviously, when I'll be less busy it should be possible to resume work on the sails and on the final set-up of the rigging, activities that I theoretically could perform at home, but now it's early to have a accurate plan.

I am therefore greeting all those who are following or have followed my log hoping to write and read news soon. In the meantime, I offer all my best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, in case we don't have to hear ourselves in the coming weeks.

Best regards, Jack.Aubrey.
I hope and cross my fingers, that you can organize everything and will be able to come back to your "new" working place as soon as possible

Dear Jack

I have only stumbled upon your build log of the Ragusian Carrack now. May I say that your build is probably the closest build of a kit to that of a fully-scratch POF build. Here I am referring to the "end result" and the visual impact with regards to realism that the model delivers. I am hugely impressed by your attention to detail, your meticulously neat work and the cleanliness of the build. I really trust that you will be able to finish her in the not-too foreseeable future.

In the same vein I am also hugely impressed by the Maris Stella kit (obviously based on what I can glean from your excellent photographs). May I be so bold as to ask your opinion on the kit and the overall building experience?

Kind regards - Heinrich

Dear Jack

I have only stumbled upon your build log of the Ragusian Carrack now. May I say that your build is probably the closest build of a kit to that of a fully-scratch POF build. Here I am referring to the "end result" and the visual impact with regards to realism that the model delivers. I am hugely impressed by your attention to detail, your meticulously neat work and the cleanliness of the build. I really trust that you will be able to finish her in the not-too foreseeable future.

In the same vein I am also hugely impressed by the Maris Stella kit (obviously based on what I can glean from your excellent photographs). May I be so bold as to ask your opinion on the kit and the overall building experience?

Kind regards - Heinrich
Hi Heinrich,
first of all I have to thank you a lot for your "more than positive" comments about my work. I appreciate it very much.

Regarding my opinion about the kit I can highlight some positive matters as well as some negative ones.
Let start with "positive":
  • the kit is complete in terms of material supplied
  • the laser cut material is very good and precise
  • the building instructions are understandable, written in several languages, useful for a novice
  • the metal guns, anchors and so on are very nice and in scale
  • the quality of the other wood raw materials (walnut strips and so on) is good or superior
  • the plans are complete and understandable
  • and so on
and now the less positive or negative matters:
  • the wood contained in the kit is only playwood, walnut tablets and walnut strips and rods; this fact means that the chromatic result of the finshed model will be only walnut; overall speaking in my opinion the final result would be poor; if you want a better finish you need to use many different types of wood; for example I used oak for gunwales, cherry for planking, tanganika for decks, and paint for masts and so on, with the chromatic effects you can evaluates from the images of the model
  • the kit suggests a single planking using walnut strips: this resulted quite early a very difficult task (at least for me) and I decided to follow the double planking method made with limewood for the first and cherry for the second; I think the single planking for this kind of hull can be impossible for a novice or in general for a normal kit modeller, and anyway difficult also for a more experienced one
  • some components (figurehead, small decorations) should be carved from pre laser cut walnut pieces: in practice the wood used is not suitable for carving, it shoud be at least boxwood; a possible alternative should be metal casting components, ready for usage.
To conclude: my personal opinion is that this relative new kit should be enhanced for the future accepting (some or all) my criticism. Of course these points should be considered as a way to improve the existing kit and not to discourage people to buy it.
Kind regards,
Jack.

Dear Jack.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer. This is exactly what a kit review should be like - supremely objective. I can only concur with the chromatic effects you have achieved with the different types of wood - I guess that is the choice that each modeller will have to take depending on the level of finish that he wants to achieve. In your case, that level of finish is supreme. The lighter-shaded tanganika deck is offset so nicely against the darker finish of the darker cherry - yet it somehow also blends in. A nice departure for me is the move away from the walnut and pear wood (although Swiss Pear is a great wood) finishes that seem to adorn many builds these days - the use of oak was an interesting choice and one that could be utilised more.

The good news is that the basic kit is sound though and allows the modeller the choice of making conscious decisions with regards to visual impact, modifications and adornments.

Kind regards - Heinrich