Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

388.jpg
While the rails were drying I decided to attach the figure head, I had to attach now as I needed to know where
the top rails were going to sit, I had also decided to tip it forward a little bit more, I drilled through the horses
hind quarter and into the stem behind and placed a dry dowel to hold it in place whileI drilled the other side,

389.jpg
I then applied some CA super glue to the joint between the horses and the stem, the dowels were still only
a dry fit so I could tilt the figure head backwards a little to get the glue in place, then I super glued the
dowels in place,

390.jpg
with having tilted the figure head forward there was a gap at the back that needed filling,

391.jpg
So I cut a filling piece and glued it in place with PVA glue,

397.jpg
After I had glued the rails in place I had to lock the top of the rails together for strength , on this pic you can see
a sort of capping securing the rails at this point, they also have a groove for the bowsprit to sit in, my bow sprit
will not be as low as this, so I didn't include the groove in mine,

398.jpg
This is what I ended up doing,

399.jpg
and a close up, it is made out of 1mm marine ply, and the front overhangs the rails slightly so I can place a
capping piece in front and under it,

400.jpg
close up of the rails, the supports and the covering piece,

401.jpg
The capping piece,

402.jpg
Glued in place,

403.jpg
General view,

404.jpg
a closer look,

Now I have to place a Royal Insignia with the Kings initials between the horses heads
and on top of that there is a crown that sits back a bit, but the front comes in line
with the plaque with the Kings initials, I'm thinking that if I remove the stone from
the crown and try and carve the low wooden loops as on the last pic, if it would look OK,
There are four original models of the RW and each show a different scenario, I thought
the crown that I have was too big but after seeing this last photo, I might just get away,
with it, also the crown is a soft metal so I could even resize if needed, be nice to know
what you all think, it will all be painted gold,

405.jpg

406.jpg

410.jpg
I decided that the crown should be a little bit higher and also needed a cushion type look filling piece,
so i turned up a piece of Huon Pine to look like a cushion, you can see what i mean in the next few pics,
The cushion part had to have a bit of a flare to it to sit inside the crown, and I would have to reduce the
diameter below that so it would go through the crown,

411.jpg
Once I had reduced the lower part I could slip it down through the crown till it fit snugly in place, once I was
happy with the fit I CA glued the crown in place, re chucked it and cut it off,

412.jpg
Parting or cutting off the crown assembly,

413.jpg
I then added the small cross that was originally on the top of the gem stone,

414.jpg
another view,

419.jpg
Next is the shield that goes between the horses heads, the photo was just the right size so I used it to mark the
shape on some Huon Pine, this is just the flat piece of Huon cut to shape,

420.jpg
Starting to round over the edges, I just used a craft knife to start with and then finished with sand paper,

421.jpg
another view,

422.jpg
and the finished shape of the shield, just sitting roughly in place, still have to add the
Royal Cypher initials, the R and W, still thinking about that one, something will pop up,
and there will also be a couple of small scrolls to fill in the triangular area's each side
at the top,

Thanks for looking, bet regards john.

426.jpg
Before I can attach any more of the head rails or supports I needed to determine where the cat heads would go,
this is the opening I cut out for the starboard side,

427.jpg
And with a piece of timber the size of the cat head inserted,

428.jpg
and the port side, however I think I may have cut them too low, so i will have to double check, the good news is
that if they are too low and I have to raise them, the cat head support beam will come up and over the hole I have
already cut, will check them out tomorrow,

429.jpg
also under the top rail I need to make another port, a bit smaller than the gun ports, I think they used it when
catting the anchor, still a lot of trimming and sanding to do,

430.jpg
because I wasn't following the Euro plans for this part, I had to use the photo's that I had, luckily I managed to
enlarge them to near on the size I wanted and could follow the hull shape, this just shows working out the
approximate shape of the cat head support,

431.jpg
I then marked it on some wood, again thick enough to get two parts out of,

432.jpg
When I cut out the part I left enough wood for trimming etc, and the top end will also be cut back later,

Back