Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
341.jpg
I had to cut the corners off the beak head bulkhead so the timber knights head could sit at the proper angle to the
stem,

342.jpg
Close up,


343.jpg
I also decided that the top of the timber head was too tall and decided to cut it down a little, you can see
where I've started to cut it off,

344.jpg
and the resulting timber head,


.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
I need to work out where the front end of the top rail is going to sit, so I decided to go ahead and complete the figure head,





346.jpg
So I positioned the starb side of the figure head in position on the removable board that sits on top of the stem,

345.jpg
When happy with its position I glued it to the removable board,


347.jpg
It had to be glued in such a position that the head rails could go behind it, so I glued it at the appropriate angle,

348.jpg
another view,

.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
349.jpg
I did'nt like the Cherubs I had moulded in with the figure head,

350.jpg
So I cut them off and replaced them with some other ones I had cast,

351.jpg
One side with the new and the other with the old,

352.jpg
Shows the starb side clipped in position,

353.jpg
And both with the new Cherubs, you may also notice one of the legs is missing from one of the horses, I decided
to try and get them as near as I could to look the same,


.

.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
359.jpg
The double figure head just sitting in place, still some filling and sanding to do, also have to make two wreaths
for the rider's and also the reins for the horses,

360.jpg
another view, the tiny piece of bright metal you can see is the reinforcing stainless steel
that I put in the moulds when casting the figure heads, they run down through the
horses front legs and also the riders legs,

361.jpg
and a close, I know they are not like the carved ones on the original models, but I am happy
with them,

thanks for looking,

best regards John.

.
 

Pat71

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2017
Messages
908
Points
343

Ik am going to try little plastic balls that you have to throw in boiling water and then you can push it in a mold or modell it with your hands and then it hardens as plastic. If you dont like the shape you can put it back in the boiling water and you can use it again..you can also put in color pigment.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
362.jpg
I started making the wreaths for the riders, first I filed a small punch out of some steel rod, to punch out the shape of the leaves,

363.jpg
I used some light photographic paper to punch the leaves out of,

364.jpg
First attempt, not happy with it,

365.jpg
These are the leaves after punching out,

366.jpg
I thought for awhile, then come up with this, I cut the wreath from the plan and CA glued it to the head and used
this as a guide for attaching my leaves,

367.jpg
one side done, you will not see the pattern underneath once the figure is painted,

368.jpg
and a closer look,

.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
369.jpg
A few pics of the figure head with its first coat of paint, still have to do a bit of a
clean up on it, etc,

370.jpg
On the first pic you can see the rider and horse are sitting back a little bit, I am thinking of tilting them forward
a small amount as in this pic so the back hooves are clear of the stem,

371.jpg
closer view,

372.jpg
and a couple of pics of the port side,

373.jpg
 
Last edited:

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
374.jpg
Next up as attaching the large timber heads for connecting the top rail to,

375.jpg
It was a case of measure and cut till I was happy with the length of the timber head and also the
end of the rail that attaches to it,

376.jpg
I ended up making a halving joint for strength,

377.jpg
the two halves together, still a bit of adjusting to do,

378.jpg
Temporarily held in place with a couple of large pins, the joint is not glued yet,

.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
379.jpg
The timber head now doweled and glued in place,

380.jpg
Just a quick check to make sure all is upright,

381.jpg
The holes drilled for the dowels on the port side,

382.jpg
And both timbers glued and doweled in place,

383.jpg
A view of the starboard side with the top rail just clamped in place, the front two or three inches of the top
rail will be steamed to bend around the back of the figure head,

384.jpg
and the port side,

385.jpg
Head on view of just the rails, thanks for looking,

best regards John.

.
 

neptune

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2017
Messages
1,303
Points
433

Location
Australia.
386.jpg
I soaked the rails in a glass of very hot water to prepare them for bending, it was just the front ends that had
to be bent so they would go around the back of the figure head,

387.jpg
I made a simple little jig to hold the rails while they were drying, they will probably need another soaking
before they are ready,

.
 
Top