Recreating HMS Bounty (1960)

Recreating the 1960s Bounty is not as easy as it seems. Since the original Bounty has alot of droughts and books written about her she is to be recreated quite easy.
For the 1960s Bounty there are alot of photographs to be found in the Web but ship plans are hard to find.
But there are still a vew sources avalible. One is a drawing made by Randall Wilkins for a canceled Pirate-Movie called "Captain Blood":
hms-bounty-survey.jpg

When you compare the side-view to photographs of the Bounty, than you will see that the sheer is too extreme so only the top-view will be of Interst for us.

The other Source is a PDF about the court after the Sinking of the Bounty in 2012:

It containes a side-profile on page 10 and a midship-section on page 8.

images.jpgDownload.jpg

Those drawings will also appear when you type "Bounty 1960 plan" into Google Pictures.

For anything else we need photographs of the Bounty which can be found in a huge number in the Web.

This will be a very interesting log........and will follow with big interest

I tried to find a complete version of the 1962 film, but failed.......nevertheless 2 minutes "Bounty leaving Portsmouth"

3 Length.png

Following the Tonnage Lenth of 108.06ft we get a Length on Deck of 120 ft as stated on the Wikepedia-page of the Bounty. There also a Draft of 13 ft is listed. This leaves us with a Lenth on the Waterline of 113.25 ft.

Last edited:
Wikipedia lists the beam at 31.6 ft (9.6 m). The german Wikipedia-Article states 9.1 m. This is a difference of 0.5 meters. In this case I will stick to what was said at the court after the sinking as the PDF lists a breath of 31.5 ft.
Breath.png
Top.png

The last important Detail is the Stern.
For that we have to use photos. Thank God, there are some nice shots that show the stern without perspective distortion.

Stern.png

There are also some nice photographs that show the ship from the Side. Putting them together we get also a useful Sideview:
Bounty-Seite.jpg

Now having all these Material, We now can start drawing a basic Plan.

You can return to your front-rows of your sofas now ;) for I am continuing work on the 1960s Bounty.

I have created Drawings for the general Lines of the Hull:

Pläne.png

Pläne.png

Based on those I have now built a mesh that represents the outer layer of the Ribtimbers of the Ship.
From this I can extrude the outer planking, wale-planks, planksheer etc.

BASIS 2.pngBASIS 1.png

BASIS 2.png

BASIS 1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that you continue with this log - My chair is in the middle of the first row (and I will not move any more)
Hope to see much more often some progress from your side!

Years ago I toured this '1960' vessel when it visited Torquay not long before she was sadly lost. I didn't know until then that the hull was steel, planked over. So was the '1979' version. Neither were truely authentic, though the later one was very convincing. Like the Endeavour replica, they all had engines.

EDIT: I must add that this particular 'replica' bewilders me as a subject to model.
My visit and tour of the vessel highlighted what a travesty it was, which only superficially resembled the original 'Bounty'.
Indeed the below deck layout emphasized this, being basically an empty shell of an adapted steel hulled tub, with no attempt at reproducing any period features.
It would be more interesting to me finding out the history of the donor hull.

Last edited:
Recreating the 1960s Bounty is not as easy as it seems. Since the original Bounty has alot of droughts and books written about her she is to be recreated quite easy.
For the 1960s Bounty there are alot of photographs to be found in the Web but ship plans are hard to find.
But there are still a vew sources avalible. One is a drawing made by Randall Wilkins for a canceled Pirate-Movie called "Captain Blood":
View attachment 103721

When you compare the side-view to photographs of the Bounty, than you will see that the sheer is too extreme so only the top-view will be of Interst for us.

The other Source is a PDF about the court after the Sinking of the Bounty in 2012:

View attachment 103722View attachment 103723

Those drawings will also appear when you type "Bounty 1960 plan" into Google Pictures.

For anything else we need photographs of the Bounty which can be found in a huge number in the Web.
Hallo @Topper
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Bounty going?

View attachment 103721

View attachment 103722View attachment 103723

Hallo @Topper
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back