Replacing Occre kit rope?

The correct rope sizes, and quality rope, can make a great difference in your model. However, it can also get very expensive. Replacement rope for my Ragusian Carrack costs between $80 and $180 depending on who it was purchased from, with almost 20 different sizes and colors and about 200 yards of it. That certainly sounds like a lot given the price of the ship you are building, and it can be a hard decision.

While you will have to learn more about rigging terminology to use it, there are spreadsheets out there that outline the proper size for most every rope on a ship, based on the mast diameter. You can't really go wrong using it, and it's certainly much better than no proper information.

Oh, and if you decide you want to use accurately sized and quality rope, you will no doubt need to replace all of the blocks with the kit. The cost of rope and blocks may well exceed the price of your ship. Again, this is for you to decide. Considering you may spend a year building a model, your time needs to be considered as well.

I purchased my blocks from HiS Models in Czech Republic and am very happy with them. I will list a link to their page to determine the right size of ropes to use, which also then determines the size of blocks: https://www.hismodel.com/blocks-the-right-choice. You can download the spreadsheet from a link on that page.

Good luck!

The correct rope sizes, and quality rope, can make a great difference in your model. However, it can also get very expensive. Replacement rope for my Ragusian Carrack costs between $80 and $180 depending on who it was purchased from, with almost 20 different sizes and colors and about 200 yards of it. That certainly sounds like a lot given the price of the ship you are building, and it can be a hard decision.

While you will have to learn more about rigging terminology to use it, there are spreadsheets out there that outline the proper size for most every rope on a ship, based on the mast diameter. You can't really go wrong using it, and it's certainly much better than no proper information.

Oh, and if you decide you want to use accurately sized and quality rope, you will no doubt need to replace all of the blocks with the kit. The cost of rope and blocks may well exceed the price of your ship. Again, this is for you to decide. Considering you may spend a year building a model, your time needs to be considered as well.

I purchased my blocks from HiS Models in Czech Republic and am very happy with them. I will list a link to their page to determine the right size of ropes to use, which also then determines the size of blocks: https://www.hismodel.com/blocks-the-right-choice. You can download the spreadsheet from a link on that page.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for the information you provided. I now see where the cost can add up & I didn't even consider the blocks, deadeyes, etc. when buying replacement rope. With that said I'll still move forward & replace rope & associated parts. The reason I'm choosing to replace the rope has more to do with quality & accuracy being the 2nd. consideration but also important.

Your link to HiS will help a lot in educating me on correct sizes of rope & blocks. Thanks again......Al.

Thanks so much for the information you provided. I now see where the cost can add up & I didn't even consider the blocks, deadeyes, etc. when buying replacement rope. With that said I'll still move forward & replace rope & associated parts. The reason I'm choosing to replace the rope has more to do with quality & accuracy being the 2nd. consideration but also important.

Your link to HiS will help a lot in educating me on correct sizes of rope & blocks. Thanks again......Al.
I have some blocks from HiS and I'm very happy with them.

Back