Researching at the Royal Museums Greenwich National Maritime Museum/Ship Purchase Contract

I am looking for the contract for HMS Speedy, Ord. 23.3.1781 according to Rif Winfield, which should be here: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...kIORY41IEgJSbM0zjgt5R7UvXZ0K2nbMaAqiREALw_wcB and in ADM/170. The trouble is, a list of the contents of this record set is not available on line. Possibly also ADM/180 at the National Archives still, but not sure of that.

I need help figuring out how to get a list of the contents of ADM/168 and ADM/170 to see if HMS Speedy, a brig-sloop floated 1782, is in it (contract and/or specs), and then how to get a pdf copy of the offline record. It should be about 5 or 6 pages. Any ideas?

***LATER ADDITION: 14 Jan 2019 RMG Greenwich replied; they do not have the Speedy contract or anything like it. Very nice of them to check for me!***

Last edited:
I am looking for the contract for HMS Speedy, Ord. 23.3.1781 according to Rif Winfield, which should be here: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collec...kIORY41IEgJSbM0zjgt5R7UvXZ0K2nbMaAqiREALw_wcB and in ADM/170. The trouble is, a list of the contents of this record set is not available on line. Possibly also ADM/180 at the National Archives still, but not sure of that.

I need help figuring out how to get a list of the contents of ADM/168 and ADM/170 to see if HMS Speedy, a brig-sloop floated 1782, is in it (contract and/or specs), and then how to get a pdf copy of the offline record. It should be about 5 or 6 pages. Any ideas?
You might want contact the Greenwich museum see if they can help you,they sell paper copies of the originals.

Like Zoly said already......contacting the archives can and will help - usually they are very helpful and respond.
In the specifications are usually the standard data and dimensions included, based on the specific data when the vessel of a purpose built or class was ordered.

In addition to your attempt, I will contact also a friend of mine with very good contacts to different archives and a very good library with original documents. so maybe I can help via this way......I will try my best

A single plan copy from the National Maritime Museum is £70 plus VAT = £84. Document scan costs are similar I know I am in the minority in thinking this is far too high, but it is best to be aware of it. Don't forget the "Handling" charges and postage that must be added to this. Here is the link: https://www.rmg.co.uk/shop/ship-plan-prints-scanning
Bob

sorry fellow ships mates things came up and I can only drop in once in a while

if the vessel your looking for has no contract then use the next best thing and find a vessel of the same time period and size. Most ships of the same size and class were built the same. I do have quite a few contracts in my personal archives.

contents of ADM/168 and ADM/170

Shipscontract's001.jpgShipscontract's002.jpgShipscontract's003.jpgShipscontract's004.jpgShipscontract's005.jpg

Shipscontract's006.jpg

David Lyons was the British version of Americas Howard Chapelle here is David's original listing of ship plans in the NMM

when I order plans I will order a photograph of the plans rather than a photo copy. some of these plans can be very large and very expensive. a photograph or high resolution scan is much cheaper and can be traced in a drawing program.

NMM00.jpgNMM01.jpgNMM02.jpgNMM03.jpgNMM04.jpgNMM05.jpgNMM06.jpgNMM07.jpgNMM08.jpgNMM09.jpgNMM10.jpgNMM11.jpgNMM12.jpgNMM13.jpgNMM14.jpgNMM15.jpgNMM16.jpgNMM18.jpgNMM19.jpgNMM20.jpgNMM21.jpgNMM22.jpgNMM23.jpgNMM24.jpgNMM25.jpg

Last edited:
I have plans on order for Brig Sloop Speedy, which is sister to Flirt. Only Flirt is in above index but I assume they are the exact same plan and the indexer missed that but the online NMM caught it. I do have the contract for a similar sized brig sloop, but Speedy and a Flirt are a unique design so I hope their contract exists. Above material is a fantastic reference. I am seeing references in ADM 180, especially to flirt, but description is inadequate to get me to purchase copies. 1.28/2019. Got deck plans, but instead of the side profile for Speedy they sent HMS Surprise!

Last edited:
Back