Revell 1/72 scale pirate ship

I just acquired the Revell 1/72 scale pirate ship model, a rebox of the Zvezda Black Swan. Due to one major issue it pretty much can only be built as a model of one of the ships from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The issue is the location of the capstan around the base of the main mast. Otherwise the model resembles english and dutch warships of the mid 18th century. After seeing this model in person I really wish Revell or Zvezda would do a model of an actual warship of this era. I don't understand though, why they chose to mold the sails and yards as one piece. I am also curious as to whether anyone has built this model with the capstan moved to just aft of the mainmast. I have looked at completed models of this kit online and it is very impressive if built with skill.

When I start on the kit I will post progress images.

Hy have got the same old Revell "JOLLY ROGGER" being rebuild as a Dutch Man'O'War in the "Dust corner" of my Ship Yard...

Looking forward to see your progresses.

I wonder if anybody has moved the capstan.
The box is available in a shop nearby, and if it is easy to build the mast and the capstan separately, I'd go for it.
Does one need to create a sleeve to replace the capstan, or can the mast be set as is without the drum?

This is the first sailing ship I built after being on fighter planes & race cars for several years. I had built many large wood sailing ship kits 35 years ago. I was building train layouts at the time. This was a beautiful kit with some of the best castings I have ever seen . I even used the kit shrouds as they looked so good. After that I was hooked on big plastic sailing ships. At my age I didn't want to get into another wood kit.
This build was 5 or 6 years ago & since then I have built about 30 more. I always put a fitted piece of wood in the hull to screw into from my wood base. I don't remember why I put the extra pieces on top of my bottom wood piece. . here are some pictures of my build.
Gene

DSCN4655.JPGDSCN4658.JPGDSCN4662.JPGDSCN4672.JPGDSCN4677.JPG

This is the first sailing ship I built after being on fighter planes & race cars for several years. I had built many large wood sailing ship kits 35 years ago. I was building train layouts at the time. This was a beautiful kit with some of the best castings I have ever seen . I even used the kit shrouds as they looked so good. After that I was hooked on big plastic sailing ships. At my age I didn't want to get into another wood kit.
This build was 5 or 6 years ago & since then I have built about 30 more. I always put a fitted piece of wood in the hull to screw into from my wood base. I don't remember why I put the extra pieces on top of my bottom wood piece. . here are some pictures of my build.

Sorry about the 2 duplicates. My mistake again. Gene

Last edited:
Gene

Back