Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark

Well, my oldest son wants to build a ship model with me. We decided we would build a plastic one first. So I found a Cutty Sark on eBay. It is supposed to be complete. One mast was started, was warped, and upon my attempt to straighten it, the upper mast snapped off. So this will be a good opportunity for skill building and improvising.

Attachments

• DFF93DEC-1BED-4F62-A8AC-1183ABA04B07.jpeg
    DFF93DEC-1BED-4F62-A8AC-1183ABA04B07.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 50
Good look with your build. This kit has been around forever, with some justice.
As a first attempt it could be ambitious. The critical factor will be the time it takes and your sons patience. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and also a lot of fun building / working / and spending time with your son.
Enjoy the time and share with us your common progress on the Cutty Sark model

You are very fortunate to have a son that wishes to participate in this activity. I hate to hear about the part breaking - I hope that experience does not discourage your son. Pugwash is right, this model has been around for a long time. I remember building this myself when I was about 18 or 19 years old - ha - that was about 45 years ago give and take a year or so -
If I remember this tea ship does not have any cannons - so, you all do not have to worry about rigging them. You can also leave the sails off and just rig the mast / yards, etc.

It's a fun model to build! I think I was 15 when I built this model, 1967. The rigging is of course the hardest part. Word to the wise come up with a case or covering of some sort. It's darn near impossible to clean any model ship once the dust settles in. Good luck to you both!

I too built this when I was around 17 and her sister ship Thermopalaye. Both ended up in the scrap heap as marriage got in the way. But I also bought a plank on Frame Imai version which I never started, some 40 years ago. Still have it. Big plan was to complete it and incorporate it into a bar! Now looking to sell the kit and get a more modern version, after seeing what laser cutting can do and the quality these days. Rekindle the passion in retirement.

The Revell range of 'big' plastic ships was really quite unique when they first produced them. I built the Cutty Sark and the USS Alabama about 50+ years ago, and the USS Constitution just before we were married, so about 47 years ago. I still have her in my workshop, looking a little battered and extremely dusty. She is suffering through the usual deterioration of the plastic due to age.
Thoroughly nice ships to build, but remember the rigging will take far more building time than the hull construction!

Ted

I built them all between 11 and 13 years of age. The Cutty Sark died a noble death by cherry bomb in my backyard pool. I thought it would go down like one I'd seen in 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. Instead, it turned into ten thousand slivers of plastic which I spent a week collecting. The last big Revell I built was the beautiful USS Constitution. That was around 1964-65. The writer above is correct. The rigging takes more time than the model. Even just building them as-is from the box with a nice paint job with model paints makes a great display piece. I have been stunned by the wonderous transformations builders on this site have made of their creations. Real artists. Doing a project of any type with your boy will create a life-long memory for you both. Congratulations.

Well, this will be our first ship built together, but he has been building models a while (he’s in his 30s) and I’ve built a number of Revell ships before, so I think we should be alright. But I appreciate all the advice and encouragement just the same.

Funny thing.
I also found a Revell Thermopylae. Says it’s 1/70. Opened the box.
I’ve seen that hull before.
Aside from being molded in a sick green color, it’s the SAME hull as the Cutty! The Cutty port half matches the Thermopylae Starboard half!!!
Go figure.

Wow. The last of my childhood idealism’s is shattered.
Revell, I hardly knew ye!
ROTF

mwroman​

You chose a not too easy model to build there.
It is small compare to other wooden models out in the market, so you will have lots of enjoyable time building her.
Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 12.46.33 PM.png

Well, this is turning into a build thread for both Revell models. My son Jay is taking on the Cutty Sark, and I’m building the Thermopylae..
Fun time painting the hull and the deck tonight.
Apparently Testors no longer produces Model Master Enamel paints anymore.
The Thermopylae is missing the sails from the kit. We aren’t sure yet regarding the rest of the parts. Both kits were listed as “used” on eBay.

07AD3E4C-0EDC-48F4-9ED1-208AED4CC29A.jpeg743FF874-D72E-418B-91EB-8762F1A11758.jpeg6E0704E0-9065-4CEC-9065-F32F22B71736.jpeg24D814D6-1FC5-440F-A597-420717BA77D4.jpeg

I bought this also off ebay. It had been started. I have also found the masts to be warped and broken.
I will attempt to repair them, but I don't know how I am going to correct the warp. Who ever had it before tried heat and it just made the problem worse
I also have Revell . U.S.S. Constitution which I am working on.
Waiting under my bed are U.S.S Kearsarge; C.S.S. Alabama; U.S.S. United States; Clipper ship Thermopylae.
I think the Cutty Sark is going to be my biggest problem due to the warped and broken masts.
If anyone has a technique for repairing these please tell me.
Thank you

Everything aloft (masts and spars) would best be made from scratch. Use the kit ones to copy. Saves time and would be superior. Mast caps and platforms could still be used.

I was thinking about the problem last night and came to exactly the same conclusion as Pugwash above.
Would be worth looking at some of the hard plastic tube you can get off model suppliers, and even cut off the mast tops in the kit and dowel them onto the tube to save the detail. Failing that, scratch build with timber dowel.

Ted

I always hit my coppered hulls with a very thin wash of diluted black. Cheap and easy. If I used too much it was a quick rub with an old handkerchief to clean up. You are making me think I should drop Netflix and build one of the dozens of plastic boats growing dusty in the basement.

I bought this also off ebay. It had been started. I have also found the masts to be warped and broken.
I will attempt to repair them, but I don't know how I am going to correct the warp. Who ever had it before tried heat and it just made the problem worse
Waiting under my bed are U.S.S Kearsarge; C.S.S. Alabama; U.S.S. United States; Clipper ship Thermopylae.
I think the Cutty Sark is going to be my biggest problem due to the warped and broken masts.
Thank you
Thank you
I am also building the Thermopylae. I think I built the Cutty Sark 3 times through college in the 60s. A couple of years ago I bought both Thermopylae and Cutty Sark on eBay before prices skyrocketed. I ended up using both kits to build one ship. Some of the parts, especially masts, we’re warped. The Cutty Sark masts weren’t any better and had parts only partially formed. I checked on line for a fix after my own attempts were dismal. I worked up a procedure that works reasonably well. Fill a pan with the hottest water you can get out of your faucet. Place the part in the water and leave for about one minute. This softens the plastic enough to bend it with your fingers. I tried it on a spruce runner and could bend it double without breaking. I used a cutting mat printed lines to get the part as close to straight as possible. Once you’re satisfied it is straight enough Leave it on the mat and clamp it in position until the plastic cools ( several hours). If you don’t clamp it the piece will return to its original shape. I found I had to do this several times before I was satisfied. It not perfect, but close enough to finish straightening it out with shrouds and stays when you rig it.

E7CA0E25-C0EA-4404-85CF-961CDE2EC0C3.jpeg

7F14D069-CD24-439E-8737-98923D6A0DFC.jpeg

A14FAD7C-2F13-4414-87F0-FEE98356250D.jpeg

Back