Revell's Harbour Tug in 1:108 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Uwek, Buster and Will for your compliments. I try my best to make my work look as good as possible. Will, you may not believe it, but the bow fender, as well as the others, were made from shoelaces. With a thicker one for the bow and a thinner one for the sides.

I will start a new thread soon. This time it will be a sailing vessel with one mast, one sail, but with two hulls....

With Kind Regards,
Edmund

When I saw tugboat models made by Barry (Mighty Mite) and Careloo (Ulysses), I also wanted to build an interesting old tugboat. I started looking for a kit and came across a Revell model:
It is as old as the World model. Not the best quality but I could not find any other old plastic tugboat. I started with the hull. First I glued two pieces of plastic to the bottom of the hull which I then drilled and tapped. The holes will be used to fix the model to the base with threaded rods. The next step was to remove any unnecessary elements that the manufacturer placed on the hull and the deck. I will have to reconstruct them on my own. The pictures show what has been done so far.

I hope it is a good start...
Hallo @Edmund
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

When I saw tugboat models made by Barry (Mighty Mite) and Careloo (Ulysses), I also wanted to build an interesting old tugboat. I started looking for a kit and came across a Revell model:
View attachment 311246

It is as old as the World model. Not the best quality but I could not find any other old plastic tugboat. I started with the hull. First I glued two pieces of plastic to the bottom of the hull which I then drilled and tapped. The holes will be used to fix the model to the base with threaded rods. The next step was to remove any unnecessary elements that the manufacturer placed on the hull and the deck. I will have to reconstruct them on my own. The pictures show what has been done so far.

View attachment 311247View attachment 311248View attachment 311249View attachment 311250View attachment 311251

I hope it is a good start...
believe I’ll need all the help I can get so all advice gratefully received!
Hallo @Edmund
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Nice job Brother Edmund! I ran across this post rather late but I thought the forum crew might like some information on this class of tugs. The picture below is the Linda, one of 100 tugs built to this design during WW2 by the Defense Plant Corporation. They were used during the war to tow fuel oil barges from Mexico to New Jersey via the Intracoastal Waterway. Her funnel was modified from its original design. Her length is 81.1 feet; beam 24 feet; depth 9.8 feet; power 700 HP. The photo and information is from "On the Hawser: A Tugboat Album" by Steven Lang and Peter H. Spectre. There are a number of photos of other tugs of this class online. Search "DPC tugboats."

dpc tug.jpg

Hi Edmund,

Your build of the harbour tug boat is excellent and the colour scheme is very good. The finished model on the kit box looks more like a toy than a replica. I have this kit and I hope to start work on it soon. Your built will be an excellent reference for me. Looking forward to see your other builds.

Kind regards

FY

Here's my old (1984) DPC tug model. Not nearly as nicely done as Edmund's model but an opportunity to keep this thread going about a classic plastic model. It was first released by Revell in 1966, according to stalemates.com, and has been re-released several times. A long-time favorite with plastic boat modelers (for good reason).
Fair winds!

lori b 1.jpglori b 2.jpg

Back