Riggin problem USS COnstitution/General Comments

Although I have been registered for quite a while, this is my first posting. I have been modeling ships since 1974 and have completed more than a dozen. Most are from kits but have been heavily expanded or modified. A kit is a convenient place from which to begin. A single source for many of the required parts including plans, wood, castings etc. Nevertheless, I usually spend an equal amount replacing materiel as I paid for the original kit. My first build was the Flying Fish, a solid hull model completed in 1975. I look at the model and wonder how I ever completed it as my first model. It is fully rigged and I doubt that, at the age of 82, that I could replicate it.

I have a couple of comments and a question for the forum: First of all, I have tried on each build to create a perfect model -- no mistakes! IMPOSSIBLE!! I may be the only one that knows where the mistakes are, but the do exist, especially with the more complex. Critical to the building process if thinking ones was through the process. The order of construction can either help you build or vastly hinder it. The order of masting is just one major example. My current problem stems from the fact that I have newer had to rip bentinck shrouds. My current build, the USS Constitution, has bentinck shrouds that cross over from one side of the ship to the other, termination at a heart or eyebolt on the deck, close to or on the waterway. I try to place all deck feature early in the build but I missed this attachment point. I am trying to figure out how to drill a hole in the the deck from one side to the other. For example, pin vises are way too short to span the distance through the starboard shrouds (no foot ropes yet) to the port waterway. My Dermal drill is way to bulky and my hands are way to big. Any idea as to how I can drill a #75 hole over a 6" span? Can I add an extention to my pin vise?

One final note is a problem that I suspect everyone has. I try to keep a neat work table, but can never find the right tool, the 6" rule, the glue, etc. even seconds after I had used them. They simply seem to "disappear". Any one else have this problem? Thanks for reading. Paul H.

also from my side a warm welcome to the active membership of our forum
- hope we can help with yopur problem, so maybe it is the best, like Stephan mentioned, to show the problematic area with a photo

Here you can see what Bentinck shrouds are and how they are fasten on the ship

the problem seems the hole and your drill which is to short. You need a 6" span to drill.
Maybe you can use a welding wire where you can sharpen the end round and flat. And then with a lot of patience drill a hole.

I think you mean this hole in the deck for the eye bolt

View attachment 231190View attachment 231191
That is my problem shone in in real life. You obviously have toured the Constitution! I must drill from one side of the ship to the other. Masts and shrouds (sans ratlines) are all up and fore and mizzen stays have been place. Missed my chance when I was outfitting the deck. The confection is on the waterway and certainly pierces the deck below. I think this attachment point is out of the question and I will have to anchor into the planksheer. Very tight. I will try to add an extension piece to my din drill.

What if you drill through the side board, place on the outside a rivit or camouflage it behind the paint, nobody will notice

see example place yellow star

aa.jpg

What if you drill through the side board, place on the outside a rivit or camouflage it behind the paint, nobody will notice

see example place yellow star

View attachment 231276
I have considered this and it may be the easist solution. Probably will be a "hit and Miss" attempt and could involve seveal punctures, but those that are not correct can easily be concealed with a drop or two of paint. Thanks

Although I have been registered for quite a while, this is my first posting. I have been modeling ships since 1974 and have completed more than a dozen. Most are from kits but have been heavily expanded or modified. A kit is a convenient place from which to begin. A single source for many of the required parts including plans, wood, castings etc. Nevertheless, I usually spend an equal amount replacing materiel as I paid for the original kit. My first build was the Flying Fish, a solid hull model completed in 1975. I look at the model and wonder how I ever completed it as my first model. It is fully rigged and I doubt that, at the age of 82, that I could replicate it.

I have a couple of comments and a question for the forum: First of all, I have tried on each build to create a perfect model -- no mistakes! IMPOSSIBLE!! I may be the only one that knows where the mistakes are, but the do exist, especially with the more complex. Critical to the building process if thinking ones was through the process. The order of construction can either help you build or vastly hinder it. The order of masting is just one major example. My current problem stems from the fact that I have newer had to rip bentinck shrouds. My current build, the USS Constitution, has bentinck shrouds that cross over from one side of the ship to the other, termination at a heart or eyebolt on the deck, close to or on the waterway. I try to place all deck feature early in the build but I missed this attachment point. I am trying to figure out how to drill a hole in the the deck from one side to the other. For example, pin vises are way too short to span the distance through the starboard shrouds (no foot ropes yet) to the port waterway. My Dermal drill is way to bulky and my hands are way to big. Any idea as to how I can drill a #75 hole over a 6" span? Can I add an extention to my pin vise?

One final note is a problem that I suspect everyone has. I try to keep a neat work table, but can never find the right tool, the 6" rule, the glue, etc. even seconds after I had used them. They simply seem to "disappear". Any one else have this problem? Thanks for reading. Paul H.
Hallo @Paul D Hall
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back