Rigging cannons without blocks

Uwe,yes this is the case but this is a display model not a diorama of an action scene.I am surprised that you haven't noticed that the pawls are not engaged at the base of the capstanROTF.
I decided to model the vessel in this way as the capstan looks more visually appealing than one without bars in place.

Kind Regards

Nigel

You are absolutely correct, and it is every time for me the problem, how to present the deck - and BTW: your capstan is looking very good, also with the small rope at the end of the bars - Looking very good with all these details

Thanks to all for the advice. To show the different positions, I had rigged the carronades on the starboard side run out, ready to fire, while the ones on the starboard side are back on their slide. I'll rig the tackle accordingly....I'll work on the tackle ropes in the next day or two since the frames of my other project are calling... (HMS Enterprise ) I've completed 30 frames so far. I'll post these on the build log when I'm further along.
Alex R

You are absolutely correct, and it is every time for me the problem, how to present the deck - and BTW: your capstan is looking very good, also with the small rope at the end of the bars - Looking very good with all these details
Uwe I shall call it “ambushed whilst at anchor “
Kind Regards

Nigel

Uwe I shall call it “ambushed whilst at anchor “
Kind Regards

Nigel
This sounds good also for me ROTF
I made the comment especially, because we are in the "Construction Details area" .......
And I am pretty sure, that this situation happened several times in the history - anchoring somewhere and the victim just came around the border of the island......
Yesterday I saw once more "Master and Commander" ......

Uwe,I do also think thought should be given to who the audience is of the finished model.Whilst my depiction would a very rare instance,as it stands,it does demonstrate the "mechanics" of the vessel,once the anchor and messenger cable have been fitted(one of the next jobs).it illustrates simply how the anchor is raised and lowered.In addition,the gun tackle as I have shown it,enables the viewer to easily understand the purpose of the guns rigging.

Most of the people that look at our models in a domestic environment are not as clued up as us.What looks right from a historical sense,may confuse others.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back