Rigging cannons without blocks

DocBlake

Blandford Group Build

For those of us who hate to rig cannons, here's a great idea. I've not yet seen this method of securing a cannon when not in use. The train tackles are attached to the carriage and bulwark by hooks, so they can be removed. The breeching line is then lashed across the top of the cannon barrel. Slick! breeching.jpg

zoly99sask

Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

I like better the fully rigged Cannon, this way looks like something is missing from the setup, I get it, easier but easier not always better.

MOG

Keeping true to the nature of this site, we all build to what pleases the builder. My personal preference is using the blocks, but that’s just me. Scale is an age old problem when building out of the box. For 1:64 I order blocks anywhere from 2mm to 5mm. for cannon rigging in this scale I find 2mm blocks from the bulwark looks just fine. We all at some point make a few minor adjustments for the workability of scale. Dave’s picture is an excellent example of the whole cannon rigging process out of scale. In my view if looks wrong to the builder it is wrong, In this case I would step back and reattack the problem ring or block to the bulwark, it’s the builders choice, I think either is a better alternative to being happy with something just for the sake of moving along. If scale modelling was always easy then it would be not much of a hobby. Again, just my opinion