Rigging small boats.

I'm working on a "Lightning" sailboat and have reached the rigging part. I plan on doing her as she would be at dockside, sails furled/stowed.
I have never studied this topic and have very little knowledge of how things work.
All the books I looked at have been directed at rigging sailing SHIPS.
I have completed the standing rigging. Those instructions were pretty clear in the kit. Running rigging is another story.
The pictures I have found are either so far away that I can't tell what or how they work, or very close up so they don't show both ends of a line and what it does.
Is there anything out there that discusses rigging smaller boats such as sailboats and small working craft?

I guess that's why I like doing rowboats and oar or motor driven working boats.

Any help appreciated.

EJ

Google: Lightning class association . Rig configuration will depend on age. From original wood masted rig (1938) with jumper stays to modern aluminum mast with bendy rig. Hope this helps.

Google: Lightning class association . Rig configuration will depend on age. From original wood masted rig (1938) with jumper stays to modern aluminum mast with bendy rig. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I have e-mailed the association to see what drawings are available. A full set of plans to build an original wood boat is $50.00, but I need to find out if that includes rigging diagrams. We'll see what their reply says.

Thanks

EJ

Try this: Google "Lightning class sloop rigging". You can get information, diagrams, tutorials on rigging actual Lightnings and nearly everything else you might want to know -- free. I'm sure Lightning racing still goes on even though the class is 82 years old. It's even an international class racing boat. Mike

I just got a book - "The small-boat Sailor's Bible" by Hervey Garrett Smith. A paperback published in 1964. This has a wealth of info in it regarding anything that sails from 8' to 35' long. A few diagrams, but I have some diagrams and pictures that are a bit better. The book has much info regarding terminology of parts of boats ( I knew much of that) , sails and rigging (that was my downfall). Aircraft carriers and the Machinist's mates that helped make them go had little training in sails and rigging.
Also is a step by step how-to of getting a small sailboat, 16 to 20 footer, underway with explicit explanation of what to do with what rope and when to do it and what it does. All I need to do is become familiar with the terminology and the purpose of - shrouds, stays, halliards, sheets, blocks, beckets, roach, lifts, clews, and on and on. This will be a big help.

Now, just waiting on a reply from the Lightning Association.

EJ

Kkonrath

Kurt Konrath
Staff member
Systems Administrator II

Did you book cover a Lido Class sail boat. 14' long west coast design. I picked one up with some damage to be repaired but got to sail it for a few weeks before it got to bad to work. Simple single mast fiberglass hull with centerboard.

Briefly. Just a mention of the LIDO -14, It was a nice family day sailer, not really designed for formal racing. Nice little boat.

EJ