Rigging small boats.

I'm working on a "Lightning" sailboat and have reached the rigging part. I plan on doing her as she would be at dockside, sails furled/stowed.
I have never studied this topic and have very little knowledge of how things work.
All the books I looked at have been directed at rigging sailing SHIPS.
I have completed the standing rigging. Those instructions were pretty clear in the kit. Running rigging is another story.
The pictures I have found are either so far away that I can't tell what or how they work, or very close up so they don't show both ends of a line and what it does.
Is there anything out there that discusses rigging smaller boats such as sailboats and small working craft?

I guess that's why I like doing rowboats and oar or motor driven working boats.

Any help appreciated.

EJ

Google: Lightning class association . Rig configuration will depend on age. From original wood masted rig (1938) with jumper stays to modern aluminum mast with bendy rig. Hope this helps.

Google: Lightning class association . Rig configuration will depend on age. From original wood masted rig (1938) with jumper stays to modern aluminum mast with bendy rig. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I have e-mailed the association to see what drawings are available. A full set of plans to build an original wood boat is $50.00, but I need to find out if that includes rigging diagrams. We'll see what their reply says.

Thanks

EJ

Try this: Google "Lightning class sloop rigging". You can get information, diagrams, tutorials on rigging actual Lightnings and nearly everything else you might want to know -- free. I'm sure Lightning racing still goes on even though the class is 82 years old. It's even an international class racing boat. Mike

I just got a book - "The small-boat Sailor's Bible" by Hervey Garrett Smith. A paperback published in 1964. This has a wealth of info in it regarding anything that sails from 8' to 35' long. A few diagrams, but I have some diagrams and pictures that are a bit better. The book has much info regarding terminology of parts of boats ( I knew much of that) , sails and rigging (that was my downfall). Aircraft carriers and the Machinist's mates that helped make them go had little training in sails and rigging.
Also is a step by step how-to of getting a small sailboat, 16 to 20 footer, underway with explicit explanation of what to do with what rope and when to do it and what it does. All I need to do is become familiar with the terminology and the purpose of - shrouds, stays, halliards, sheets, blocks, beckets, roach, lifts, clews, and on and on. This will be a big help.

Now, just waiting on a reply from the Lightning Association.

EJ

Did you book cover a Lido Class sail boat. 14' long west coast design. I picked one up with some damage to be repaired but got to sail it for a few weeks before it got to bad to work. Simple single mast fiberglass hull with centerboard.

Briefly. Just a mention of the LIDO -14, It was a nice family day sailer, not really designed for formal racing. Nice little boat.

EJ

Try this: Google "Lightning class sloop rigging". You can get information, diagrams, tutorials on rigging actual Lightnings and nearly everything else you might want to know -- free. I'm sure Lightning racing still goes on even though the class is 82 years old. It's even an international class racing boat. Mike
I used to crew in a Lightning for a close friend who would crew for me in my 5-0-5 trapeze monohul. The Lightning was a wood boat stem to stern and masted. We did a lot of racing and flew with a spinnaker when winds and course were available, double slotting whenever possible, (jib and spinaker both up) where as crew I had to pay attention to not backwind the jib. Tacking with a jib was quite an experience and took a lot of practice to do well. All sheets and adjustable leads were led back from the foredeck so that either the skipper or crew could make adjustments from both inboard and hiked over the rail, (we used to do a dropped hike where our calves were on the gunnels and buts on teh side, torso parallel to the water. That was regular in the Thistle class with its round hull in higher winds. The skipper would lead the lines whereever he want them to be placed for his style of handling. Gread old style dingy. All of this was in the end of the 60s and early 70s.

I just got a book - "The small-boat Sailor's Bible" by Hervey Garrett Smith. A paperback published in 1964. This has a wealth of info in it regarding anything that sails from 8' to 35' long. A few diagrams, but I have some diagrams and pictures that are a bit better. The book has much info regarding terminology of parts of boats ( I knew much of that) , sails and rigging (that was my downfall). Aircraft carriers and the Machinist's mates that helped make them go had little training in sails and rigging.
Also is a step by step how-to of getting a small sailboat, 16 to 20 footer, underway with explicit explanation of what to do with what rope and when to do it and what it does. All I need to do is become familiar with the terminology and the purpose of - shrouds, stays, halliards, sheets, blocks, beckets, roach, lifts, clews, and on and on. This will be a big help.

Now, just waiting on a reply from the Lightning Association.

EJ
Recently I put up a request for leads related to rigging as from my newbie position I have been seeing what I termed and I hope did not offed a member, "wood crafting" and had a reply but cannot find it again. I do appreciate the build logs and group builds are excellent for me to see and the high bar of craftsmanship being done. I am not trying to classify SoS into any group in a negative manner and apologize for any misunderstanding and misstatement of my search for more tips and results that lead to a better outcome. It all depends upon the project at hand which may not include scale rigging and may take up some of those in the future.

Looking back to the baby Lightning "Blue Jay one design class" that was my self built entry in to sailing and racing about 1967, here are three old photos: upside down in my garage ship yard with the mahogany keel being bent to the framing in the jigs. Then a candid shot that was taken the day of launch when I was trying to sort things out and my non -sailor wife/crew is under the small main and doing something with the jib sheets. Lastly a slow pass by with sails up heading out to find better wind and get ourselves coordinated. She was frustrated that larger boats like the Lightning would pass us by quickly even thoug we were the first class to be started in a regatta. It was a fun boat and learning ex perience that was easy to single-hand. We also had a spinnaker on it.

Pilot Boat in Progress.jpgCandid Blue Jay Launch Pic.jpgPilot Boat in Progress.jpgCandid Blue Jay Launch Pic.jpgPilot Boat in Progress.jpgAt that time I had started the present Constructo PIlot Boat which I am finishing now in my den shop with athwart ships shrouds and stays awaiting completion of the deck furnishings and running rigging that has to be secured behind those shrouds. . . opposite of normal standing before running practice. PT-2

Back