Rigging Victory before the Internet using Hackney and Longridge only.

If you were a sailor on Victory this is the last image you would want to see as she wasn't coming back to pick you up. I think that the ladder at the stern is called a Jacops ladder. The rudder rigging is a half chain and half rope probably to stop the chain from charing the wood.
imgur15.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone would like me to take a close-up pic of any part of the Victory please advise and I will try my best to accommodate you.

I think rigging is my most taxing bit.
I had 1 model completely ruined… everything perfect. After stripping back I found masts incorrect, wrong angle and my lovely drawing plan a disaster. Of course it looked nice! But if I entered into a completion I not think the judges had enough room to complete the mistakes. So! Very under estimated bit of the build. A good rigged ship with correct ropes can up lift a model + sails… as I saw 1 model I clearly remember getting a highly recommended and even I could see the hull lay was incorrect.

Thank you for an excellent "tour" of your Victory. For those unfamiliar with the work of the great master modeler Shep Paine, he has several excellent published guides and his work is featured in "Boxdiorama.com." The following nautical-related images are from that site though he created many more. The Gundeck at Trafalgar diorama used to be displayed in the, much lamented, old Forbes Townhouse Gallery in NYC. It was set into the wall at eye height.
Admiralty_2.jpg

Victory_Gun_Deck_2.jpg
Monitor_2.jpg

Just an awesome presentation John, just awesome. Thank you.
And thank you 3rdjerseyman for the sample of Shep Paine's masterpieces.
Terry
Yes, Shep was a good friend and advisor to me when I was learning about dioramas. He appraised my stuff for the museums and I miss him every day looking over my shoulder with all of his knowledge of the subject matter.

Yes, Shep was a good friend and advisor to me when I was learning about dioramas. He appraised my stuff for the museums and I miss him every day looking over my shoulder with all of his knowledge of the subject matter.
Well, it sure looks like Shep didn't waste his time with you John. Your work is outstanding and I really enjoyed looking at it. Thanks again. Terry

Here the officer with his telescope is surveying the horizon for any approaching ships that may have snuck up during the night. When he gives the all clear normal activity can resume.
View attachment 360955
This is interesting stuff John, however I would point out that the crew member in t he topmast, possibly a middy, could see much further than anyone on the bowsprit. The business of the dawn "stand to" is employed to this day for the very same reason, though with more import for the Army than the Navy, who can rely on radar. I love your work on Victory. Many years ago (1995) I traveled to London to see Longridge's model in the Science Museum at South Kensington. I do not know if it is still on display.

Hello John,
First of all, congratulations for this beautiful work.
I started myself a Victory in 1970 and I haven't finished it P3023785.JPGyet. Though I have a question, you do not mention the scale of your model...
Mine is 1:96 and I am about to finish the stern windows and decorations.

Back