Royal James sloop

There are a lot of builds, this on I missed. Great stuff you show here. Love the way you bend planks.

ok now I am back to where I left off after correcting my mess up
on to the second belt of planking but before I continue with my planking 2.0 I did swap the wood. In the first attempt I was using pearwood and it does bend really nice and I was going to give the hull a natural finish, pearwood turns a beautiful gold color. But with planking 2.0 I am using Poplar another nice bending wood, now I will finish the hull with weathering and Poplar takes paint and stain very well.

There are trade offs pearwood and boxwood look nice when finished but they are hard woods and difficult to cut with a knife, boxwood is somewhat brittle and tends to break when trying to bend it. Poplar bends without having to soak it, I am bending it dry. The thickness I am using is .080 a FAT 1/16 or about 2mm thick.

What I like about the Poplar is it can be finished naural and is a pale tan color but its big advantage is how it cuts and believe me there will be a lot of shaving and tapering and cutting planks. No need to make the job harder for yourself by using wood that is difficult to work with.

just look at that curl

View attachment 68294View attachment 68295
Very clever idea! Just built a simple one for the second planking.

20221004_194445.jpg

Great build. I am considering having a go at this model. Are the CAD files you made for the frames available? Haven't decided on a scale yet, would be nice to play with the CAD files to help nail it down.

Thanks!

Lee

Great build. I am considering having a go at this model. Are the CAD files you made for the frames available? Haven't decided on a scale yet, would be nice to play with the CAD files to help nail it down.

Thanks!

Lee

the plans are a free download at Modelshipbuilder.com

Back