Royal James sloop

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor

thank you guys

I do want to stress these are methods I developed over years of trial and error, they are not always the conventional methods and some builders may be scratching their heads thinking huh! why?
This is more art than science and builders sort of "personalize" their own methods.

Sponsor

with the top timbers in place it is time to install the gun port sills. The sills sit on top of the waterway and extend out to the outer edge of the waterway and extend to the inside of the top timber. First i cut over size sills to give myself enough for tweaking the fit between and behind the timbers.

When i have a nice fit to the timbers then i can cut off the extra length and round off the corners. Now i have the sides and the sills of the gun ports setup and everything is fitting nice and tight. The top cap rail will form the top of the ports.
The wood i am using is Poplar it cuts, sands and works so nice i am able to get tight joinery.

Sponsor

I have seen a number of ways to build the gun ports some methods use joinery and set the ends of the sills into the side of the frame timbers. This is indeed one method. Not all gun ports are actually built that way on ships the size of the Royal James and most of the war ships built on the Great lakes with open decks and gun ports the sills were set on the waterways.
Here is an example of how gun ports were built, as you can clearly see the sill sits on top of the waterway

lets take another look at a gun post sill.