Royal William, Euromodel, a retro log

After finishing the initial planking, of the upper, I turned my attention to starting from the keel upwards. Initially this caused me problems. The false keel is 10mm, nice and sturdy but the walnut keel to be added later is only 7mm, the bulkheads are set flat and even with the bottom of the false keel except for where they arrive at a steep angle at the bow and the stern. It's difficult to describe in words the problem in getting the transition from planks laying flat at the bottom then over what is a shoulder of the wider false keel and lie flat against the side. To overcome this I added a 7mm planking strip along the bottom of the 10mm false keel, and used this to butt my planks up to. It means that I have planked the bottom of the keel as well but it made it easier to get a good flow of the planks and when complete I thought that I could always sand it back to near its original dimension. I think you’ll understand better when you see the pictures.

I split the area to be planked in half, worked upwards and downwards letting the planks have as natural a run as I could let them.

I had to take a short break from planking as the repetitive gripping of the many hundreds of small nails was causing cramps in my hand, I knew it wasn't going to be easy but that part of it was now nearly complete. I'd planked to below the lower gun deck, I was happy with the way that the planks were lying with a nice true run. I checked and rechecked the gun port positions from as many reference points as possible and all seemed to be ok.

Looking over the planking that I had done I could see that a slight hollow was forming around the second frame and that where the bow filler blocks joined the frame the curve had a slight bulge. I thought that the hollow relates to the earlier problem of the height of the bulkheads which I'd corrected, I've added strips to the edges of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th frames and re-profiled them so that should now be ok. I realised that the bulge was because I hadn't been aggressive enough shaping the edge of the bow blocks, I took more off the remaining part and hoped that I'd done enough to get a good profile. I hadn’t yet managed to complete any hull without the use of filler and I was hoping that this would be my first. This wasn’t really important but is just a matter of satisfaction.

View attachment 453456

View attachment 453457

View attachment 453458

View attachment 453459

View attachment 453460

View attachment 453461

View attachment 453463

View attachment 453464

View attachment 453465

View attachment 453466
Ken,

That is great planking! The deck looks fabulous as well. Given that I am 70, I may never reach your quality of workmanship and craftsmanship!

Bill

I have checked the various sites that sell ship models in the U.S. for the HMS Royal William, all without success. I was finally inspired to try the Euro Model website in Italy. Lo and behold! It is there. It is listed as available. I ordered one today! Finally, I am thoroughly enjoying watching your build of this magnificent ship!

Bill

Just checked out the Euromodel web page for current pricing. This model is $1,600 U.S dollars plus shipping and taxes.
Think I will pass on that .
Hi Bryian, Yes an eye watering price, I got mine for under £300 on EBay, a bargain not to be missed, even though I thought it a bit advanced for me, at that price it was worth taking on.

Hello, welcome back and thanks for your continued interest and likes.

Now it was time to cut out the gun ports, for cutting I used a scalpel, I find them much sharper than a Xacto knife and give a perfect cut with ease. I didn't drill any pilot holes, I found that with a fresh blade it wasn’t necessary. Cutting the 1.5mm planks is just one pass with the grain and four passes across the grain and the plug comes away cleanly, no need for sanding to size. You can see in the pictures how cleanly the plugs came away intact. I used a fresh blade for each side.

At first I was going to leave the ports which coincided with the frames as closed ones but as things were going so well I decided to cut away the frames and have a continuous line of open ports. Rather than just hack away I made a small saw from a junior hacksaw blade, I had thinned the blade quite a bit so as it had no strength and would bend so I fixed it into the dowel handle so that it would cut on the pull stroke, this is also shown in the picture. The whole procedure went very well and I was surprised at how quickly it was done, I had one clumsy moment when I put my thumb through some unsupported planks, thus needing a small repair.

For the linings I used the off cuts from the first planking strips. I cut the linings using my very useful guillotine to get them uniform. I fitted them, they were a good tight fit and after a good drying time I trimmed and sanded them, all went well and was pleased with the result. When I fix the second planking I will leave the appropriate gap around the ports.

074.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

082.jpg

085.jpg

087.jpg

088.jpg

Hello, This is the next episode, thanks for looking.

Next on the list was the cast facia under the quarter deck. I could play around with this as when it's in place it wouldn't be seen. The castings were real meaty items with plenty of depth and a fair amount of detail, better in my opinion than the thin but crisp photo etch, there is more character in them. That is except for the window framing, I couldn't initially see a way of making these windows look good but I set out to see what I could do. First I cleaned the casting up, primed then painted the frames white. I then dripped a black wash into the glazed area, this found its level in the castings leaving the white frames untouched which meant that I didn't have the almost impossible task of painting the frames neatly. I then painted the remaining facia. When the black wash dried it did so in a blotchy way and on the model looked like a normal window reflection, better I think than a solid colour.

I couldn't stop thinking that with a bit of effort I could do better. I'd seen the results that others have achieved by opening glazed areas up. I knew that if I didn't try I would find myself in a couple of years kicking myself knowing in my heart that I should have done it but by then it would be too late, every time I looked at the model I would feel regret.

I selected another casting and started. I drilled a pilot hole, fitted a large handle to my needle file so that I could hold it and began filling. It wasn't a very difficult task but it took a long time, the four pane panel shown took me one and a half hours and it was so mind numbing it felt much longer, but it could be done. I decided to set aside half an hour each day of my building time to the task, I didn’t look forward to it but bit by bit they got done. I felt like someone had given me a can of red paint and a brush and told me to paint the Golden Gate Bridge and I don't like painting. This was defiantly not in my brief, I hadn’t intended to get involved in extra detailing but having considered it, it had to be done. In the picture when the pile on the left got bigger than the pile in the right I'd be happier and feel that I was making progress.

I cut out and lined the side entrances, I then fitted the forecastle and the quarter deck, the latter was about an inch too long and needed cutting down but I thought that it was better than it being too short. I then continued upwards with the first planking.

I'm trying to match up the build description with the pictures that I took, as there was so much going on some of the sequences may be a little out, some of the time I've re done things and the pictures don't reflect this so you'll occasionally need to use your imagination.

089.jpg

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

104.jpg

Hello and again thanks for those likes.

First I'm showing you the result of many weeks filing away at the gallery castings, it was a result but to date it is my most disliked episode in modelling, even worse than char removal.

I installed the rest of the dummy gun carriages under the quarter deck and finished planking that area. I cut away a bulkhead and deck beam from the forecastle and made up my own correctly shaped beam from the plan using ply faced with walnut strip leaving a rebate for the planks to butt into, this looked much better than the kit version. After a little more work I lined the inner wall with 1mm walnut planks which then gave a bit of extra strength. I made up the grating for the forecastle and a chimney for the stove, ( sorry no stove ).

I remember being very pleased with my progress but it was about to go very pear shaped.

When I bleached the walnut for the main deck planks I didn't do all the planks in one go, only enough for that deck, I did the others much later, big mistake. They looked as if they had taken on a slightly different shade than previous planks but as I was going to dye them light oak once they were on I thought nothing of it. To compound this the marker pen that I'd used had dried out so I bought another but from a different manufacturer, second mistake. I cut the planks to length and edged them with the new marker, this marker seemed a little more moist than the first, it leached into the wood more than the original but I never noticed. When I'd finished the planking, including the small deck at the bow I tree nailed them, stained them but when I put on the varnish these small differences became much amplified. To my dismay the deck looked darker with a more uneven colour and the black caulking showed up far too strongly and way out of proportion, I was not a happy bunny.

I went to bed and tried to pretend it hadn't happened and it would all be okay in the morning, it was too awful to think about, it looked bad, I couldn't leave it like that. If the boat fairies didn't visit it overnight and fix it I would have to strip and re-plank both decks as I didn’t think that I could replicate the main deck planks.

In the morning it looked just as bad, so as with the cast windows, if I had left the decks the way they were I would on seeing them every day regret it. I took it on the chin and learn from it.

I ended up striping the decks of their planks, cutting away part of the quarter deck to give me access and even removing the stairs, I cleaned everything up, got some more wood and started the decks again, once committed I felt much better.

Next post will be about a happy outcome.

114.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

Unhappy with this deck planking

106.jpg

Removed staircase, gratings etc and started to strip planking

107.jpg

Back