Royal William from a Euromodel kit

Ken

Hi, I’d like to share with you some pictures of a model that I completed a couple of years ago, it is the Royal William made from a kit by Euromodel. I rather jumped in at the deep end making this model, I hadn’t previously built anything large or very challenging, my previous and most difficult model to date had been HMS Fly but I felt that I had it in me to build this kit. It was not a kit as I knew them to be but rather a box of wood and plans to make most parts your self, I would describe it as a semi scratch build but with superb castings. It was a very steep but interesting learning curve which I think has now stood me in good stead for this hobby. A group of experienced modellers were posting there build logs of this kit on another site, I joined in adding my own build log and in doing so I received a great deal of help and encouragement from the other members.

Ken002.jpg009.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpg023.jpg024.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpg029.jpg030.jpg

Fabulous work Ken on what is probably one of the most challenging "kits" on the market.I have always had a soft spot for this one after reading Keith Julier's book.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi, Nigel, Thanks for your compliment. Like yourself I read Keiths book and was inspired by his article on the R.W, one of the reasons I went for this kit. Yes it was a challenge but taken step at a time not as difficult as I had imagined it would be, a very enjoyable build.

Ken

G'day Ken, a beautiful model of a very intricate kit, very nicely built,

best regards john,
Hi John, Thanks for your kind comment. When you get a compliment from someone as experienced as yourself with a build history like you have it makes it worth while getting involved on a forum.

Regards, Ken

Hello Ken,
A beautiful model, I will be adding this to my Contributors Gallery. If I may ask a question. What are you using for the Trenails for the upper planking (that looks dark) and then the Trenails for Wales (that looks bright). Thank you. I love the effect it shows very realistic.

Hi John, Thanks for your kind comment. When you get a compliment from someone as experienced as yourself with a build history like you have it makes it worth while getting involved on a forum.

Regards, Ken

Thank you Ken for the very nice comments, they are much appreciated,
Best regards John,

Hello Ken,
A beautiful model, I will be adding this to my Contributors Gallery. If I may ask a question. What are you using for the Trenails for the upper planking (that looks dark) and then the Trenails for Wales (that looks bright). Thank you. I love the effect it shows very realistic.
Hi Donnie, Thanks for your kind comments they were are appreciate.
with regard to the tree nails, I used brass nails for the wales, I darkened them first then painted over them when I painted the Wales using a dull black. The deck nails are a cheat really, I just drilled holes for them, .8 mm and rubbed some coloured wood filler in, when sanded and varnished you can’t tell they aren’t the real thing. I put sanding sealer on first so that the planks don’t absorb any of the fillers dye.The filler doesn’t need to be dark as it’s like wood end grain and darkens when varnished, I also use this filler for subtly showing caulking. I don’t know if you can get it in Aus but I use a brand called Brummer, its great, it goes on like a paste, sands easily like a hard chalk and comes in about ten wood shades. As with everything, test it out first. Ken

Incredible outcome that obviously was not a rush through project but received a lot of time and effort for quality every step of the way. Builds like yours set a bar for us newer members and builders. Patience must be a large part of your nature which is hard to come by. PT-2

Hi, I’d like to share with you some pictures of a model that I completed a couple of years ago, it is the Royal William made from a kit by Euromodel. I rather jumped in at the deep end making this model, I hadn’t previously built anything large or very challenging, my previous and most difficult model to date had been HMS Fly but I felt that I had it in me to build this kit. It was not a kit as I knew them to be but rather a box of wood and plans to make most parts your self, I would describe it as a semi scratch build but with superb castings. It was a very steep but interesting learning curve which I think has now stood me in good stead for this hobby. A group of experienced modellers were posting there build logs of this kit on another site, I joined in adding my own build log and in doing so I received a great deal of help and encouragement from the other members.

KenView attachment 151377View attachment 151378View attachment 151379View attachment 151380View attachment 151381View attachment 151382View attachment 151383View attachment 151384View attachment 151385View attachment 151386View attachment 151387View attachment 151388View attachment 151389View attachment 151390View attachment 151391View attachment 151392View attachment 151393View attachment 151394View attachment 151395View attachment 151396View attachment 151397View attachment 151398
I cannot get your William out of my mind and particularly if I understand it as a first build. Do you have any idea of the number of hours that you put into this build. Did you do any of the work using milling machines or was it all hand done . . . or somewhere between?
If it was a first time it is intimidting for other first time builders but also inspirational as to what may be achieved. PT-2

You have done a superb job on her.
I built this many years ago and was put off by the heavy cast metal parts. Looking at the stern galley, it looks like you have cut out the window frame glass. Excellent work.

Reactions: Ken
I cannot get your William out of my mind and particularly if I understand it as a first build. Do you have any idea of the number of hours that you put into this build. Did you do any of the work using milling machines or was it all hand done . . . or somewhere between?
If it was a first time it is intimidting for other first time builders but also inspirational as to what may be achieved. PT-2

Hi PT 2,
Thanks for your very kind comments they are very much appreciate. No, this wasn’t my first build, I’d done three others previously, my HMS Fly which is in the gallery here was my previous one. All the work was hand done and it took about 1500 - 1800 hours of very intensive but enjoyable labour.
I am currently building the Amerigo Vespucci, and doing a log of it here if you would like to see work in progress.

Ken

Last edited:
I built this many years ago and was put off by the heavy cast metal parts. Looking at the stern galley, it looks like you have cut out the window frame glass. Excellent work.
Hi Brian, Well done yourself for taking on this model. like yourself I didn’t like the heavy casting of the windows so a I so I and filed them out and filled them with clear glue. This was the most tedious and worst part of the build and my fingers were sore for weeks afterwards.
I’m currently building the Amerigo Vespucci with a log here if you would like to see my work in progress.

Ken

[/
Hi Brian, Well done yourself for taking on this model. like yourself I didn’t like the heavy casting of the windows so a I so I and filed them out and filled them with clear glue. This was the most tedious and worst part of the build and my fingers were sore for weeks afterwards.
I’m currently building the Amerigo Vespucci with a log here if you would like to see my work in progress.

Ken

Hi PT 2,
Thanks for your very kind comments they are very much appreciate. No, this wasn’t my first build, I’d done three others previously, my HMS Fly which is in the gallery here was my previous one. All the work was hand done and it took about 1500 - 1800 hours of very intensive but enjoyable labour.
I am currently building the Amerigo Vespucci, and doing a log of it here if you would like to see work in progress.

Ken
I will be looking for your log of AV as I am sure that you have skills and techniques that I need to advance my own work. PT-2

I wish Euromodel would upgrade their kits so they are comparable to other manufactures offerings. Perhaps some photo etch and better rigging cord and tackle blocks for a start. Then upgrade the ships boat and the white metal castings.

Back