Royal Yacht Caroline figure head by Janos

I am just too lazy to make a real building (carving in this case) log so here are a few pictures in sequence. I also built the whole ship and made the carvings there but I also wanted to carve the figure head itself to a bigger scale (1:20). The basis was the Bellabarba-book of the Anatomy of the Ship series. The material is European Boxwood and the tool mostly used is the Marathon micro motor rotary carver. To finish the carving I used self-made scrapers to smoothen the surface.
As the original ship's carvings were all gold leafed I made an attempt to make the figure head the same way. I used 22 carat gold leaf and after a few unsuccessful attempts I managed to achieve a bit better result with a German seize, although I am not happy with the result. The carving just looks better without the leaf.
There is no text but I hope the pictures tell the story. The group of the Queen and the angels are made of one piece of timber and the crown is another one.
Janos
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Janos
I am truly amazed by your great skills and with your fantastic end results, well done. Is it possible that you could share the sizes and typed of rotary cutters that you are using to achieve these wonders?. Thank you very much for sharing, ENJOY

Regards Canoe21 {Lawrence }

Thanks, Lawrence, you are very kind.
I plan to write a short article about the tools I am using in the generic carving section of SoS soon, including the rotary bits I use.
Regards:
Janos

Back