Sailcloth versus Silkspan

Hello Everyone,

I've just stumbled over a video in which the gentleman hosting it describes the use of silkspan versus conventional cloth for the making of sails.. I'll be honest with you, I believe that silkspan is much more to scale for models then conventional cloth. I understand that everyone has their personal preference but at least take the time to view his videos and you come to the conclusion as to which method is best for you.

Fair Winds to all, Ray.

Hello Everyone,

I've just stumbled over a video in which the gentleman hosting it describes the use of silkspan versus conventional cloth for the making of sails.. I'll be honest with you, I believe that silkspan is much more to scale for models then conventional cloth. I understand that everyone has their personal preference but at least take the time to view his videos and you come to the conclusion as to which method is best for you.

Ray ..
This is an excellent get started point for sails. The same material is call Modelspan if others are interested. Predominantly used in the RC plane hobby. its available here: no affiliation but they do make the models for the US Navy. http://www.bluejacketinc.com/fittings/fittings11.htm

Last edited:
I intend to make all the sails furled on my Victory. I'm going to experiment with silkspan to see how that goes. Thx ! ;)
When the time is coming with your trials please share with us the progress of your experiments and results.....maybe also the unsuccessful one´s - everything is helping others to learn and to get better - Would be great

I remember seeing that the now obsolete "Drafting Linen" was the ticket for sails. Has anyone seen or used it?

I remember seeing that the now obsolete "Drafting Linen" was the ticket for sails. Has anyone seen or used it?
Hi, Peggleworm
From what old-timers say, drafting linen is the best material because it is linen which lasts longer than other materials. Silkspan is made of a paper much like a teabag paper, which I assume will eventually age, yellow, and crack. Although drafting linen is super for ship sails because of its very fine weave, good luck in finding any. It's as common as buggy whips. If you are lucky enough to find an old architectural plan made from drafting linen, consider buying a lotto ticket that very day!

Purser Dave

Silkspan is made of a paper much like a teabag paper, which I assume will eventually age, yellow, and crack.

Purser Dave

Sorry, but no it will not! If treated with acrylic like the video explains here:
there is no reason to age or yellor or crack, since it is protected by the paint.

Besides, I feel it more scale like than the tissue normally used.

80187 80188

I used silkspan a lot on model airplanes and some of them are more than 50 years old and still fine.

Regards

JL

Sorry, but no it will not! If treated with acrylic like the video explains here:
there is no reason to age or yellor or crack, since it is protected by the paint.

Besides, I feel it more scale like than the tissue normally used.

View attachment 80187View attachment 80188

I used silkspan a lot on model airplanes and some of them are more than 50 years old and still fine.

Regards

JL
Dicas,
Thanks for the correction! It's got to be better than trying to track down old blueprint linen!

Dave

Back