Sails or No Sails

I am at the stage of the masts, yards, rigging and sails on my Occre Endeavour. I have a sail set and trying to decide whether to attach the sails or not. Part of me is of the view that it is a sailing ship so sails are essential, another part is that the sails will hide much of the model rigging. My better half is in the NO Sails camp to save trapping dust. Any thoughts? Also if I were to put sails on when am I best to do that. Currently the yards are not attached to the masts, so is it better to attach the sails to the yards and then instal the yards OR attach the yards to the masts and then attach the sails. Not done this before but putting sails on the yards and then attaching the yards to the masts semi possibly easier but welcome any views from those with experience. Thanks.

I am at the stage of the masts, yards, rigging and sails on my Occre Endeavour. I have a sail set and trying to decide whether to attach the sails or not. Part of me is of the view that it is a sailing ship so sails are essential, another part is that the sails will hide much of the model rigging. My better half is in the NO Sails camp to save trapping dust. Any thoughts? Also if I were to put sails on when am I best to do that. Currently the yards are not attached to the masts, so is it better to attach the sails to the yards and then instal the yards OR attach the yards to the masts and then attach the sails. Not done this before but putting sails on the yards and then attaching the yards to the masts semi possibly easier but welcome any views from those with experience. Thanks.
Sails. And install on the yards before istalling the yards to the masts....just my opinion though...

Sails are optional in my opinion. There are times when they had the sails removed from the yards. If you've not done a ship with the sails yet, work on them a little bit and see how you feel about them. Then you can make your decision.

As far as your wife's concern about it being a dust collector, the entire ship model will be one. I strongly recommend (and I'm sure many others on here will agree with me) that you get a cabinet/case for your wonderful ship model that you have spent so much time on. You will find the case exterior MUCH easier to clean and dust. :) Plus it helps to keep curious hands out of the rigging (curious hands are not always children ! :D).

Thanks guys for the responses. A follow up question ... if going down the sail route any ideas on what people do to the sails so they don't just hang down limply. I did think about sewing a thin piece of wire along the edges of the sail so it can be bent and give the sails shape as if they are filled with the wind. Any views/experience that you can share? Thank you in advance.

Thanks guys for the responses. A follow up question ... if going down the sail route any ideas on what people do to the sails so they don't just hang down limply. I did think about sewing a thin piece of wire along the edges of the sail so it can be bent and give the sails shape as if they are filled with the wind. Any views/experience that you can share? Thank you in advance.
I was able to effectively shape my sails using fabric stiffener (and a hairdryer).

Another aspect to the sails is to give them a more weathered look. I have read about people using black tea to give this effect. I have never tried this, but you may want to experiment with a small piece of cloth to see if you can get this to work?

Thanks guys for the quick responses ... so many good options to consider :). I had read about weathering the sails with tea ... it might have to be a leap of faith and just try it as the sails are ready made and no spare material to test on. I like the idea of fabric stiffener ... I read of someone using watered down PVA glue painted and formed before drying. I'll post how I get on. Thanks again.

To get the shape you need I have seen here on the forum where the builder used sticks to replace the yards and attached the sails, and used thread attached to bottom corners, then dipped the material in fabric stiffener, and mounted the sails up on good vertical mast to allow to dry with fan blowing from behind.

The treads allowed the lower corners held back and in a bit to form a bow in the shape of sail, when dried in a few hours the sails held there shape.

Thanks guys for the quick responses ... so many good options to consider :). I had read about weathering the sails with tea ... it might have to be a leap of faith and just try it as the sails are ready made and no spare material to test on. I like the idea of fabric stiffener ... I read of someone using watered down PVA glue painted and formed before drying. I'll post how I get on. Thanks again.
I can't remember the source, but what I wrote down from that is 30-45 seconds in the tea, if that helps. Who knows. I may have picked it up from this site. I keep information but I don't generally keep track of where I got the bit.

Ah, the age old controversy of whether of not to make sails! It depends on the appearance of the model you are looking for. Show off the deck and fitting work and rigging or make an impression of a ship under sail. It comes down to personal preference. The effect of starched sails to make them billowed:

DF shot.JPG

No sails:
DSC_0041.JPG.f99934ba37fa5a9de2c048a7c2a6998b.JPG

If you angle the yardarms, you favor viewing the deck and rigging on one side.
1391 Side in Day.JPG

Last edited:
If you do not have any experience with sails FORGET THE READY-FOR-USE SAILS COMING FROM KIT -you better add them to your basket.
I made a few days ago a series of sails on a ship model,m which are perfect. I a today or tomorrow follow up with more images
then it is my idea s to send out, how sails should be made, covering into details: Fore Stay sails, Staysails between fire and main mast() Mizzen. The Sqursails on all mast. Finally the Spanger/ Bom sails or Gaffelsails

PA_SEJL SKIBE-037.jpg

Ah, the age old controversy of whether of not to make sails! It depends on the appearance of the model you are looking for. Show off the deck and fitting work and rigging or make an impression of a ship under sail. It comes down to personal preference. The effect of starched sails to make them billowed:

View attachment 352189

No sails:
DSC_0041.JPG.f99934ba37fa5a9de2c048a7c2a6998b.JPG

If you angle the yardarms, you favor viewing the deck and rigging on one side.
View attachment 352190
A simple Potato Starch mix in cold water, let it stay for some, and now with an Iron or Hair Dryer, can do wonder. one will just have to do some trials, to find the right solution. Grand Mother trick

If you do not have any experience with sails FORGET THE READY-FOR-USE SAILS COMING FROM KIT -you better add them to your basket.
I made a few days ago a series of sails on a ship model,m which are perfect. I a today or tomorrow follow up with more images
then it is my idea s to send out, how sails should be made, covering into details: Fore Stay sails, Staysails between fire and main mast() Mizzen. The Sqursails on all mast. Finally the Spanger/ Bom sails or Gaffelsails

View attachment 352205
Thanks for the reply. I have seen a number of people on SOS criticise the kit sails and certainly the Occre ones appear to be out of scale with the rest of the model, mainly too thick with big stitching. Any images and techniques would be brilliant when you have time. What material have you used for the sails?

Thanks for the reply. I have seen a number of people on SOS criticise the kit sails and certainly the Occre ones appear to be out of scale with the rest of the model, mainly too thick with big stitching. Any images and techniques would be brilliant when you have time. What material have you used for the sails?
So many options. for 17th century sails that are deeply billowed, more than later centuries, I used ivory color stretch satin, 97% cotton and 3% spandex. It can stretch a lot. The best material is a very thin cotton cloth called Navare White Lawn, available in the UK only HERE.

So many options. for 17th century sails that are deeply billowed, more than later centuries, I used ivory color stretch satin, 97% cotton and 3% spandex. It can stretch a lot. The best material is a very thin cotton cloth called Navare White Lawn, available in the UK only HERE.
When I was building I mainly used an Old Cotton Shirt. Today it is very easy -where I am living in southern Spain - nearly all waiters -both male and female -are using brownish cotton trousers nearly the right color. It can be bought 2Nd very cheaply.
No use of Thee with its tannins is needed.

When I was building I mainly used an Old Cotton Shirt. Today it is very easy -where I am living in southern Spain - nearly all waiters -both male and female -are using brownish cotton trousers nearly the right color. It can be bought 2Nd very cheaply.
No use of Thee with its tannins is needed.
I stained my sails with pine tar and kerosene. Who knows how long that will last.

I stained my sails with pine tar and kerosene. Who knows how long that will last.
LITTLE WORRY ABOUT THE KEROSENE. DEPENDING ON WHICH TYPE PINE TREE, SOME SOME OF THEM ARE POISON. YOU CAN BIG PINE FORREST, WHERE ON THE GROUND THE IS NO GROWTH OF ANY VEGETABLES LIKE GRASS, FLOWERS ETC. DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR UNDER SUCH A PINE TREE. IT CAN BE VERY COSTLY.

LITTLE WORRY ABOUT THE KEROSENE. DEPENDING ON WHICH TYPE PINE TREE, SOME SOME OF THEM ARE POISON. YOU CAN BIG PINE FORREST, WHERE ON THE GROUND THE IS NO GROWTH OF ANY VEGETABLES LIKE GRASS, FLOWERS ETC. DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR UNDER SUCH A PINE TREE. IT CAN BE VERY COSTLY.
HI. TAKE INTO THE ACCOUNT THAT NOT ALL SAILS ARE GREY. SOME ARE WHITE TOO. HAVE A LOOK A THE ATTACHED IMAGES

65878170_2856692234556410_8038183293356605440_n.jpg

Back