Planset review SAINT PHILIPPE (1693 - 1715) - a 90 gun built by Francois Coulomb at Toulon" by Jean-Claude LEMINEUR

Uwe, these monographs published in English, what type of goal do they have ?, cm / mm ?. greeting-

Uwe, these monographs published in English, what type of goal do they have ?, cm / mm ?. greeting-
I am not 100% sure, if I understand your question correctly - are you asking about the used unit of length?

In the history part ancre is using usually the original contemporary units of this time - but in the monographie with drawings every measure etc. is given in SI-units - so metric measures

I do not have this monograph but as a "rule", the historical portion of the monographs (all historical references) contains dimensions listed in French foot: unit used in that time period.. A foot is divided in inches, lines and points. As for weight, pounds are used. Furthermore, you have to remember that these measurements are different from the current imperial / British system.
As for other parts of the monographs, dimension are not usually given: except for the rigging descriptions, tackles, etc.... you will find that the dimensions have been converted to metric as these parts of the documentation are for the modeler.
Now that is the monographs ..... but the base of the documentation, the 74 gun ship, everything is listed with the old system: So if extra info is needed, one needs to do the conversion.
It sounds confusing but it really is not when building because references can be taken from the very detailed plans.
GK

French foot = 32.48 cm
One foot is divided in 12 inches / 1 inch = 27.07 mm
One inch = 12 lines / 1 line = 2.256 mm
One line = 12 points / 1 point = 0.188 mm
The metric system was developed shortly after the French Revolution but adopted later.
GK

Tnx Gilles, there was a lot of good information for those who want to start a project like this,
I understand that the drawings are so good that it should be possible to take measureing off
parts and other details directly out of the drawings.
Greeting-

Hi All
The big package arrived today,all 6.4kg of it !I am reluctant to get everything out as some of you know,I am preparing to move house.In addition to the contents that Uwe posted,mine also came with the addition of a cardboard file some 2 inches thick containing additional copies of some of the drawings,but in 1/36 scale.
I have got the full size deck plan out and yes this is going to be a BIG model but not stupidly so.I am looking into investing in a large bandsaw and a planer thicknesser to process my timber.What I haven't looked for yet is the frame drawings in 1/36.This will give me the width required for the largest frame futtocks.This will dictate not only the thickness of Pear planks required but also the capacity requirement of the bandsaw.
I have looked at the Proxxon DH40 thicknesser and read several reviews which are good but I feel the timber quantities I require will kill it.We are starting to encroach on full size joinery at this scale.

Kind Regards

Nigel

One of the models I saw in Rochefort last year and which was in my opinion one of the best models was the 1:36 model of the 64 gun ship L´ARTESIEN built by Gerard Chenivesse

It is a very good example, how much details in best quality are possible in this scale - take a look at the rigging f.e.

I can fully understand your decision for this scale - but off course for transport you need a forklift :cool:

Uwe
I will post some pics,as I need to check all the Drawings are there,I am worried I have two copies of sheet 5:oops:.I am seriously thinking of starting a log.There is a serious amount of considerations to think about before making dust.To discuss these may be a valuable resource for other builders.Every true plank on frame build log I have seen immediately starts with keel or frame assembly and seems to skip the preparation bit.
Biggest thing with this build seems to be the typical French 'sistered' frame design is different in that the sections are mortice and tenoned together as well as bolted.This changes everything as I have not seen a model build that has this design and from what I have read so far appears to be unique to Coulomb.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am pleased to report I have all the plan sheets,just have an extra plate 5.All sheets apart from the rigging diagrams are 1/36.The extra cardboard folder in the 1/36 version must be simply due to the fact that there is just too much volume of paper to squeeze into the binder.Some pics of the set including Ancre's usual catalogue and a couple of nice Saint-Philippe bookmarks.
The final pic is the side elevation with my 1/47 Royal Caroline for scale:D From keel to the top of the lanterns is the same length as Caroline's hull!!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

sp1.jpgsp2.jpgsp3.jpgsp4.jpg

Uwe
I will post some pics,as I need to check all the Drawings are there,I am worried I have two copies of sheet 5:oops:.I am seriously thinking of starting a log.There is a serious amount of considerations to think about before making dust.To discuss these may be a valuable resource for other builders.Every true plank on frame build log I have seen immediately starts with keel or frame assembly and seems to skip the preparation bit.
Biggest thing with this build seems to be the typical French 'sistered' frame design is different in that the sections are mortice and tenoned together as well as bolted.This changes everything as I have not seen a model build that has this design and from what I have read so far appears to be unique to Coulomb.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I am seriously thinking of starting a log.There is a serious amount of considerations to think about before making dust.To discuss these may be a valuable resource for other builders.Every true plank on frame build log I have seen immediately starts with keel or frame assembly and seems to skip the preparation bit.

That s a good idea Nigel

Yes I will start a log Zolly in the next few days.This time around I will spend a little more time preparing for and taking pictures and think a little about how I want to start it off.Let's face it,this is going to be one for the LONG haul.To my knowledge,this will be the first and only for the moment,build log on this great vessel.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Back