Santa Ana 1784 AL by PaulV

Tks all for comments & likes yep lots & lots & lots of Coffee. ( The boxes are for the admiral as she like em). I go the instant stuff. The biggest hurdle was convincing myself to do the the next bit. It was a eye numbing effort ( have two sets glasses and a head magnifier( and tying with a set of tweezers in each hand was a challenge) Its summer here and the glasses don't stay in place on my nose when sweating.
Still in the end it was worth it.
Looking fwd to a break and a change of pace with an RC Tug kit before the Victory.

Paul I know you mentioned in my build you had reservations about the sails but I have to say that do add a great deal to the model.I look forward to more grey hair and lots more coffee when I get to the rigging stage on my Santa AnaROTF

Your tug project sounds interesting,I too have some nautical RC projects on the go.Are you going to start a log?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel Yep.

I ve got both a plan coming for a scratch fr0m an old 1976 modellers magazine and the occre Ulises. I hope to do both. just have to find a good wood supplier in AUS. Hope to do the deck parts( bollards, funnels etc with the 3d printer). should be a lot of fun. I looked at a steam plant option but the cost is scary ( Especially for a noob.) Logs will be done!

Hi Brian , Many Tks.

Hi all, well 80 cannon port lids ( not 76 as per the manual ), 168 hinges ( 8 for the closed ports), 160 rope bits , 320 drill holes & two very glued fingers and the cannon ports are now completed. Be warned there is only enough hinges ( looks like a lot on the pe but its not) so if you drop them look very hard.
The port lid wood is also just enough.

Lids cut with the Proxon Mini Table saw. ( and caught deftly as they flew off)

Anchors , spare stun sail booms & Small oats to go!

Still have to fabricate a stand from perspex on the CNC as well as a case.( and somewhere to put it).

The Tug kit arrived today so an unboxing & review will be soon!

DSC04017.jpg
DSC04018.jpg
DSC04019.jpg
DSC04021.jpg

Well after 2 1/2 years at 3 hours a day ( 1 in the morning & 2 at night) she is finally done. ( not sure If I'll add the flags).
She has been a fight all the way to the finish.
What looked like an awesome manaul with 120 pages and 6 sheets of A0 images, turned out to be a manual designed by a psychopathic masochist who obviously delighted in miss-information , miss-measurement and miss-direction.

The final model is superb, but the journey a adventure in the absurd. They stated it was a kit for the experienced builder, but I'm not sure what experience they were talking about.

Anyway enough said

Here are the final build images, with the anchors added, small ships boats and lifting davits .
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3260.jpg
IMG_3257.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg
IMG_3263.jpg
I will post some final images to add to the gallery if you wish.

To anyone building this , good luck & good health. Its builds into a great kit ship, its just a pity that the journey is flawed.

The next entry form me will be the review and unboxing of the Occre Ulises, followed by the build log fit it and a scratch build the Australian Tug Wattle from plans to be obtained from Float A Boat.

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi Paul. The Santa Ana looks absolutely awesome! I have a quick question for you, if you don't mind. You mention in the log that you use diluted PVA glue (30% glue; 70% - water I presume) to brush into the joints.

Now for the newcomer questions - so please bear with me ...
1. Do you find that this makes a marked improvement in rigidity?
2. Does the water not loosen the already-applied (non- water resistant PVA glue)?

I am thinking of using this on my cannon-port boxes on the Batavia as they are only 1mm thick and there is not much surface for the glue to stick to?

Thanking you in advance.
Kind regards - Heinrich

Hi Heinrick, The dilution was used to do the roping. It allowed the loops to stay in formation but then give enough flexibility to bend them to shape. I also bee waxed all the lines first.

All wood parts were done with full strength white PVA.

Hi Paul

I was referring to this post of yours.

Paul.png

Kind regards
Heinrich

Hello Paul, Finished model paid off all of your straggle. She looks gorgeous, and sure enough, will shine your house. Congrats on a really great model! Thumbsup

Hi Henrick , Sorry yes f on the diluted PVA to all the bulkheads where they touched the keel, this was because the kit req you to have them loose when fitting the thin decking so that it could be maneuvered into place.I painted on the PVA afterwards to ensure that everything locked into place. The false keel is nearly 1m in length and this would help with it not bending pre planking.

No the water did not loosen the PVA( wood PVA not paper PVA) just brushed so that it permeated any area not glued.

As to the question did it improve regidity. I honestly do not know. this is the first kit that suggested it due ot the loosed bulkhead method.

All thanks. for the comments. This is the last AL i will ever do. They are mostly ok kits but this one was a test!

Back