Santa Maria - Mantua - scale 1:50 modified kit semi scratch and diorama

zoly99sask said:
I applied a second coat of poly, actually the last one,not really visible but here it is.

Second coat of poly (800x600).jpg

Very nice Zoltan. How do you apply poly? By brush, airbrush or cotton cloth etc? Thanks.

Mustafa

Brian,
I just bought a satin wipe on poly at Bunnings. Not cheap though.
Janos

Zoly

Unfortuantly it is not Minwax.

It is Feast Watson

Cheers
Geoff

Janos and Geoff,
I was considering the Feast Watson oil based wipe on poly as an alternative because the Minwax has disappeared from the shelves at the local hardware stores down here.
Be interested in your feedback guys on how it compares.

I bought the Feast & Watson one because the Minwax disappeared from the shelves (and it was much cheaper than F&W!). I have been using the F&W now on my SoS and I can't see any difference between the two (other than seeing red because of the price of it...). The first coat on SoS was still the old Minwax, but then (after much of it had been sanded off) as I wanted to apply the next coat I realized that it went thick and could not be used. Then I went to Mitre 10 when I bought the Minwax a while ago. There was nothing, so I went to Bunnings where I found the Feast and Watson for $33. As I applied the first coat of it, partially on top of the Minwax cote, nothing happened, they did not start fighting each other. Lucky I assume...
Actually I wanted to be 'clever' and as I opened the Minwax bottle I filled half of it into a separate container and sealed it, hoping that I can use it further than what was going to be opened-closed frequently. It did not work, it thickened up the same time as that one in the original bottle, which I was frequently opening. I imagine that the original bottle must have been filled up with Nitrogen or something similar to avoid contact with Oxygen.
Janos

Janos,
funny you say that about the Minwax. I had the same issue.
When I was using it varnishing my model, I was constantly opening and closing the cap and this caused the contents to congeal and go gluey. I had to throw a third of the can away.

Hello Zoltan

I kind of figured that on attaching your Channels but just wanted you to be aware of the problems they would cause if they broke loose later on in the Rigging.

Thar Poly that you ate using is it a gloss or a semi gloss finish, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Lawrence ,the poly is satin ,no gloss at all,thanks for visiting my build log.

Hi Zoltan. Looking very nice. That is quite a bend on that 'S' section of the rail and with some kinds of wood the grain can break out with a feathering affect on the outer curve - I find obeshi to be the worst for that. Yours looks good - what kind of wood is it? Regards.

Thanks Graham for the kind words and visiting my build log.The cap-rails are mahogany and it was a pain in the butt to bend it without splintering.

Good job Zoltan and yes, it is quite difficult to bend the magohany.

Mustafa

Back