saying hi from uk

hi my name is dave I am a new comer from the uk.i'm collecting deagostini parts for HMS victory I do plan on doing a build diary but i'm not very good with computers so I am going to have to learn how to send pictures thanks for letting me waffle on and I hope to speak to you very soon.

Welcome aboard. I hope you will find this site useful and am looking forward to your log on the Victory. At least living there, if you have a question, you could take a weekend and drive down to see the real vessel. Building this model will be a real challenge, but when completed, it will be well worth the effort. Not much in life can beat sitting back and looking at a completed fully rigged model you built from just wood, string and a little bit of metal.

Hi David,
glad that you are here ! If you need help with attaching some pics you can email me directly at donnie(at)shipsofscale.com and I will help you via email. It is a pretty straight forward process, but at the start it seems rather daunting.

A lot of it really starts with how you want your image to be displayed, cropped or resized.

There is a huge difference between the size of the "file" of the image verses the size of the physical image such as 600 x 800 pixels. Both 600 x 800 pixel size images can be a large file size or a small file size depending on how you "compress" it. If I remember off the top of my head, I think I have the forums set up to attach a maximum "width" of 900 pixels, and the "file size" to about 300kB. That is still a very large file that I have allowed for posting so that the detail can be expressed.

I personally use Corel Paint Shop Pro 7 and it has a very easy method of cropping and final compression.

Also, on a side note, you can also use an image hosting server such as photobucket, flicker, and others and then copy and paste the link to your "post", this way you have a little more control over certain things. One main thing is that you keep the library of images on a remote server.

Back to the image, you also have to determine what pixel size your camera is. Even most simple Point-And-Shoot cameras have at least 14 to 15 Mega Pixel camera sensors. Well, it is obvious that the 14 or 15 Meg image will have to be dialed down (compressed) to a ratio of like 50:1.

in my corel, after cropping an image to what I want, I usually compress to about 15:1 due to the fact that alot of the image is gone of where I cropped alot of the unwanted stuff out. Cropping is where your image software allows you to "select" just a "portion" of the image that you want to save. Resizing is where you have an image that is perhaps 3000 x 4000 pixels and you want to reduce the image physical size to lets say 800 x 1000. The CONTENTS of the image has not changed just the physical size.

Hope some of this makes sense.

Lastly as you see right below the "save draft", "Preview", and "Submit" buttons is another window section that has "OPTIONS" and "ATTACHMENTS" if you click on the attachments, you will see a dialog box that when you click to attach an image, YOUR computer will then open up another dialog file box of where you hunt down the picture you were working with. You can "Preview" everything before you click on submit.

Donnie
ps. I know, I realize I broke my own rule by getting way off topic in the "just saying hi" forum. Sorry folks. I have to remain the example here.

Back