Schooner Halcon 1840 1:100

Should the deck and bottom edge of gun ports be at the same level?

Vladimir,

The bottom edge of the gun port shouldn't be at the same level as the deck. Look into your drafts it shows the waterways. For water to escape from the ship they use scuppers (шпигат) shpigat in Russian

The lower edge of the gunport are definitely higher than the deck planking, I think it is also visible at the drawing of the kit.

20181106_20074411.jpg

These flat deck sloops had usually no gun-port lids, and the guns were also usually fixed running out through the gunport, so they had more space on deck behind the carriages.
They had no lids, so that in heavy weather the water can go out directly trough the gunports, in heavy weather the scuppers are not enough.

I have a very good example from the frigate Hermione, showing the real ship in slightly heavy weather, than this is understandable.

IMG_04581.JPG

Thank you so much!
Tons of useful information! I took off the plank without damage and going to correct it this night. I should be more attentive to the drawings.
I'm not so proficient in Russian marine terminology, furthermore, it's come mostly from Holland by Peter First.
But I'm studying while I'm doing. That's why I start the block and great thanks for you all!
I got this adds by mail for my Halcon. Cannons are amazing!20181107_171324.jpg

Hi Vladimir,
If you in doubt in English words, I will try you to expain\translate. Don't hesitate to ask.
Yeh! Sometimes it confusing, because I'm not so proficient in Russian marine terminology, also in English too.
Thank you for your help. I just start to learn marine dictionary. :)

Back