Administrator
Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
SCUNA
Brigantino Goletta 1903

Scale 1:50
by Franco Fissore

IMG-46511a.jpg

The two Volume set of this Monograph is available in italian language directly from ancre:

IMG_12511.JPG

Unbenannt1.JPG

monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903 (4).jpg monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903 (11).jpg monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903.jpg

monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903 (1).jpg monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903 (9).jpg monographie-de-la-scuna-brigantino-goletta-1903 (10).jpg

IMG-46491a.jpg

Size of the model in scale 1:50

aa.JPG

SYNOPSIS:

With this book we illustrate one of the most beautiful sailing ships of Western Liguria, the Brigantino - Goletta, which was baptized by the Ligurians with the name of "SCUNA". With this type of vessel our old men have sailed many seas carrying all kinds of merchandise.

The Scuna that I will illustrate to you is one of the last boats built in the Ligurian shipyards; therefore it becomes part of the family called "ultima vela", with a wooden hull. This scuna, in addition to being one of the last, was also one of the largest built in the west; in fact it had a tonnage of 350 tons, not a little for that type of boat.

It carried two vertical masts: the first (Trinchetto) with square sails, the second (Maestra) with auric sails and finally the Bowsprit. The foremast is divided into three tree trunks (foremast trunk, parakeet tree, foremast or velaccino and counter velaccino). The foremast, then, was crossed by five spars (foremast, fixed parakeet, flying parakeet, velaccino, controvelaccino); inferred from the spars, five square sails that each took the name from its own yard (foremast, fixed parakeet, etc.).
The mainmast was divided into two trunks (main trunk - mainmast or arrow) and had two cut sails; the mainsail sail, between the peak and the boom, and the counter-sail.

The Bowsprit, in turn, was divided into two pieces, (real bowsprit or bowsprit trunk; jib shaft and counter-jib). The bowsprit, with the foremast, carried four jib sails, called trinchettina, large jib, second jib, counter-jib.
Between the Trinchetto and the Maestra there were three stay sails: cage stay, back stay, velaccio stay

CONTENTS:

The present book consists of 151 pages containing 44 historical photos, 19 photos of the model
54 tables, 457 drawings and sketches.

To complete the work, 22 out-of-text drawing sheets are attached.

IMG-46251a.jpg

DRAWINGS: (in scale 1:50)

1 - Water lines
2 - Structure of the hull
3 - Structure of the ship
4 - View of the bridge
5 - Complete hull with hull lining
6 - Masts
7 - Flagpoles
8 - Bridge superstructures
9 - Lances and bridge superstructures
10 - Bowsprit, foremast shrouds
11 - Backstays of the foremast, stays and lifelines
12 - Main mast
13 - Main mast
14 - Mantles and sidewalks
15 - Stair sails, jib sails
16 - Mainsail and counter-sail
17 - Foresail sails, fixed parakeet sail
18 - Sails du flying parish, velaccino sails
19 - Sails du controvelaccino, hoist of the crosspiece, hoist with caliorna
20 - Square sails
21 - sail sails
22 - complete view

The beautiful Model of the Scuna - Nostra Signora della Guardia , built by the author Franco Fissore, I was able to see in real during my visit in Rochefort two years ago.
Some more detailed photos you can find via the two following links:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-th-21-st-october-2018.2050/page-5#post-43281

For the Look Inside of the book as well for the Drawings, please take a look at the following post .....

Attachments

• LA_SCUNA_IT (2).pdf
    606.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thanks for showing this planset. It´s not my cup of tea but it´s definitly a interesting plan.
You are right, but there are not very much good plansets of "modern" sailing ships existing, so I am pretty sure, that the Scuna has some market

It's nice that even more modern sailing ships are advertised at Ancre. The Italiens have many excellent model makers in their ranks who will take on this ship.
The model is a challenging task, which I would like to accomplish if I live long enough.

With best regards
Thomas

Addendum: of course other nations have excellent model makers who will take care of this ship.

Last edited:
Back