Seefalke, Lappland, Scheelenkuhlen, 1:250 HMV

Hello all,

Today I would like to make you witness of my first serious steps in the world of carton shipbuilding. I bought a kit from HMV, the Seefalke with includes also a fishtrawler Lappland and a small tug Scheelenkuhlen. The Seefalke is a seagoing salvage ship, built in the beginning of the 20th century.

81rIH41Qz+L._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

I started the build with the smallest of the three ships, the Scheelenkuhlen. I figured that when I could make something of this little one, the Seefalke would be less of a challenge.

The pictures below show my first steps.

IMG_7273.jpeg

IMG_7274.jpeg

IMG_7276.jpeg

I can tell you now from my own experience... scale 1:250 is small!!!

Enjoy,
Gijsbert

Attachments

• IMG_7275.jpeg
    IMG_7275.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 1
Hello all,

Some progress to report. I placed the sides of the hull and all the 3 parts that form the deck. It was a little bit difficult to place the boarding, but one side is now done and it looks good. The white cardboard cuts are painted black. I am still amazed that it is less than 9 cm.IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7292.jpeg

IMG_7294.jpeg

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

One more day of modeling. I have discovered one more application of 3M notes. The mild tacky glue is perfect for fixation of (very) small parts when you cut them.

IMG_7302.jpeg

And I also turned the arm of an outdated lamp into something that keeps my magnifying glass at a convenient position and easily out of the way when I don't need it.

IMG_7303.jpeg

The sticky notes are also ideal to fixate lego-blocks to support small panels when the glue is drying, it works excellent to keep the walls upright.

IMG_7316.jpeg

IMG_7318.jpeg

Here are the results, with the white cutting edges painted.

IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7330.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

These were the "big" parts, now the smaller ones are waiting...

to be continued...
Gijsbert

looks good - I'm still finishing a paper boat that I started - I keep putting off doing the tiny bits.

Hello all,

This built is about making small things. I have never done something so minuscule and it is really a learning proces. The first things I made were the ventilation inlets. I used an embossing tool and a 0,8 mm drill and `i got something that looked right, anyway with normal eyes. With the telephone lens at the smallest distance it is not so smooth, but hé, I am learning...IMG_7336.jpeg

IMG_7337.jpeg

IMG_7340.jpeg

After that, the chimney

IMG_7342.jpeg

... the steam pipe for the whistle and some more deckstuff.

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

and to finish it for today, a 15 mm long rowing boat. Could it be any smaller?

IMG_7367.jpeg

The rudder was cut from double folded carton, so I soaked it with medium thick CA-glue to give it a bit more rigidity before cutting.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Hello all,

I think the Scheelenkuhlen is ready. Some parts could still be added, but that would not improve the model. All in all I am moderately satisfied, but the goal was to learn and I sure did that. The mast was a challenge, but I drilled a tiny hole in a creditcard and pulled the carton through it to shape it in a cylindrical form. Unfortunately the shape is a little conical, so that was not the ultimate solution, but good enough. The rigging was done by drilling small holes in the decks and put the end of the thread through it after stiffening it with a little drop of CA glue. It worked!

This is the end result.

IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7396.jpeg

I hope the next one will look a little better. That will be the fishing steamer Lappland. But first I continue with my Japanese temple.

to be continued...
Gijsbert

Back