Sergal Cutty Sark scale 1:78 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Fabulous! Cutty Sark was the first tall ship I ever really knew about and have always loved her. I had the amazing opportunity to visit her in Greenwich, and it was an incredible experience. I'd highly recommend it to anyone within reach of London.

Robert…thanks for all this it’s been great following your build and I’ve learnt a lot on the way…I remember starting my build of the same kit week later than you did…!
I’m only just about to start rigging so mine has been slower build…thanks again it’s been great to follow the build.

Robert…thanks for all this it’s been great following your build and I’ve learnt a lot on the way…I remember starting my build of the same kit week later than you did…!
I’m only just about to start rigging so mine has been slower build…thanks again it’s been great to follow the build.
Thanks John, a great project , okay it has is flaws here and there , but with all the detail added , hardly noticeable , I had a display case made with added pedestals and midship support , I just didn’t like it so kept the stand as is , she is a big model and need the extra support , I also encountered shortage of rigging and had extra Hemp ordered in the UK , I found out during the rigging a short supply of mast collars and belaying pins around the mast , I managed to compromise though.

Rigging alone makes it or brakes it John , good luck !

E70AD160-D0D1-45E6-AA00-6ABC5A28713E.jpeg

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood​

Hemp's high resistance to degradation from salt water and sunlight, and its natural UV protection makes hemp clothing perfect for the sun and sea. This high resistance to rotting and superior strength led to hemp's premier use in marine fittings throughout history. ⁣

In the 16th to 18th centuries, while intercontinental trade was booming, the fleets at the time were powered by the force of the wind. During this period (and up until the early 1900s), hemp was used to make the majority of all shipping sails, ropes, rigging, ladders, shrouds and nets. Hemp fibre was also mixed with tar and used to fill the seams between the planks of a wooden hull in order to make ships watertight (called 'caulking'). Sailors’ clothes were often made of hemp, lamps used hemp oil, crew ate protein-rich hemp seeds and captains kept the ship’s log on hemp paper. ⁣

Hemp was the second most used material in shipbuilding after wood. Sailing ships were dependent on canvas (the word 'canvas' is derived from 'cannabis') – a medium-sized vessel used 5 to 8 tonnes of hemp in the form of sails and 55 to 75 tonnes of hemp as ropes per year. ⁣

The hunger for the commodity was great. In 16th Century UK, Henry VIII passed an act compelling all landowners to sow 1/4 of an acre, or be fined. Ship captains were ordered to disseminate hemp seed widely to provide fibre wherever repairs might be needed in distant lands. Hemp seed was supplied to the First Fleet in Australia, and free seed was given to settlers to encourage cultivation. ⁣

Throughout history and across the world, hemp was grown extensively to provide materials for the naval fleets. Hemp played a crucial role in exploration and expansion ( Used extensively and only on this model)

Back