Ships Longboat 1680 – 1780 scale 1:32 Ancre’s monograph by Jean Claude Lemineur

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

The boat's construction and the details of the framing are described in the book, as well as the four distinct types of rigging: the square rig, the lug rig, spritsail rig, and lateen rig. The book consists of fifteen plates 1/24 which all plans and frames. Booklet 112 pages, including sixteen color pages- photos with the realization of the model.

The study proposed by J-C. Lemineur is centered on a 36-foot longboat. This length is that of a master longboat arming first-rate vessels in the 17th century, such as L'AMBITIEUX of 1680. A lack of evolution resulted in it preserving its structural characteristics over a period from 1680 to about 1780. This was taken from the Ancre website.

When I saw Rick Noyes model photos in the completed models section it looked like an interesting project and bought the monograph. The drawings included were in 1:24 and 1:48 scale. I scaled them to 1:32 scale so I could print them on 11x17 paper.

There are two methods to build the model. The first makes use of a mold with a detailed illustrated method bending the frames to create the hull. The second option is similar to the gantry system I normally use holding the frames in an upright position with a sliding vertical plate. I chose the second method for the building board.

The building board.

The base and sled are made from ½” thick MDF. It is cheep and easy to work with. The T-Track and knobs are the most expensive parts of the building board. I made these drawings using ActCAD, a low-priced version of AutoCAD.

The baseboard is made in four pieces. The bottom is one piece, and the top is three pieces, a center section and two edge sections. The T-Track I use is ¾” wide and ½” deep which determines the width of the channel for the T-Track.

The sleds are 3/8” plywood and are a vertical piece with two brackets spaced to fit in the T-Track. See drawings for details.
The following photos show the assemble process.

IMG_5918.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

Attachments

• Jig-2 Sliding Vertical Suppots.pdf
    6.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Baseboard for Jig 2.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 3
A very interesting project - a model not often build

maybe you do not know the model build by

for everybody interested in the mentioned monograph, please take a look here:

THE SHIP’S LONGBOAT 1680-1780
LA CHALOUPE DES VAISSEAUX de 1680-1780
LA BARCA DEI VASCELLI
LA CHALUPA DE LOS NAVÍOS

Scale 1:24
by Jean Claude Lemineur Translated by François Fougerat

The Keel

The keel assembly drawings are straight forward and well done with plans, sections and isometric details that help with the assembly. I am using European beechwood for the keel and framing.

I had a small problem with the keel. It is only 1/8 “wide with bevels on the top for the planking and no notches for the frames, this would be a reason to use the mold option. I marked the frame locations on the top of the keel and drilled holes for 20-gauge brass pins for support and holding in place. We will see how this works out. I may add spacers between the frames below the keelson if the frames are too flexible. I attached restraining on the sides of the keel to the baseboard to keep the keel straight.

The following photos show the assemble process.

IMG_5929.jpg

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5931.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

The Frames
The frames are three pieces and easy to make. The frames have an interesting numbering system; they start with three midship frames and the aft frames are numbered 1 through 14. The forward frames are numbered 1 thru 10 so you need to be careful not to get them mixed up. After cutting out the frame parts I used magnets to hold the parts in place while the glue dries, as shown in the photo. While the frames were drying the stern assembly was built in place on the keel. The drawings provide patterns and very good isometric assembly details. I will be attaching the frames to the keel next.

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

this is totally unbelivable accracy, sp0eed, craftmanship mike you truly are a building machine a m master builder. m i am not only following your build but doing one in 1:24 scale i ordered t tracks yesterday boy am i really, really slow, but going for it full time mike stop turning back the clock on me. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AQND YOURS DON

Thanks Don, it doesn’t matter how long it takes to build a model as long as you enjoy the work and like the final result.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Very nice work on your longboat. I like how you built your building board.
I have this monograph and I will watch your build with lots of interest.

Bill

Building board Drawings.

Hi Bill. Thanks, I am posting the drawings here if anyone wants to try this type of building board.

Mike

Attachments

• Baseboard for Jig 2 R!.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Jig-2 Sliding Vertical Suppots R1.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 1
Back