Sidetracked on another project

It's been a long time since I updated my two build logs but I have been busy.

I mentioned some time ago that I was building HMS Medea with timber form our old farm - Silver Ash, air dried for approximately 20 years. It is a beautiful wood but the problem is that I needed to put most of it aside for a large dining table for our new house.

Well, the job is done and I did manage to slip in a little ship building along the way. I made the legs with laminated tree-nailed sections similar to ship frames. Very satisfying and I was able to keep the dimensions down while maintaining the strength needed for a heavy eight-seater table. We were lucky to find chairs to match and I still have enough Silver Ash to complete my Medea build.

All ready for our early Christmas party tonight before our son has to head off for a two week shift. Happy Christmas everyone !!

For a bit of fun, I'll do a quick update of the Longboat build soon at https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...a-project-1-48-scale-model-shipways-kit.4720/

That looks beautiful, very nice finish. Not at all what I pictured in my mind when you mentioned like ship frames. I thought the legs would be curved like a hull frame o_O
That's a fair enough thought. What I meant was that I laminated the boards together with overlap at the knees to strengthen the structure. The treenails were important as there are no screws holding the laminated boards together. Party over and all enjoyed feasting off the new table.

Back