Small soldering heat sink methods

These mini alligator clips might be useful. I bought the bundle in the first View attachment 223719View attachment 223720View attachment 223720photo for around $5.00. Twenty clips per bundle. They’re pretty powerful at their tips and light weight. Useful in rigging and might be decent heat sinks. Found them at a computer shop which still builds computers. They have everything.
Yes, I bought a bunch months ago for holding small blocks when splicing and serving. I use a small elastic cord on one to pull tension and plain string on the other to place it before pulling tension on the elastic. Both lines slightly elevated with blocks or other handy points to get my hands all around. Rich

I would suggest that you make a Jig out of card stock that will hold all the parts firmly in the correct position. Dip the card stock in water it keep it from burning. take your solder and flatten it into a thin ribbon. Cut the ribbon into small lengths. brush on the flux you are using on the parts and its OK to be a little sloppy about it. Then place the small bits of solder on the joints to be soldered. Apply heat, I have used small butane troches on large assemblies. but normally a soldiering iron around 70 watts will do the job. This method will allow you make sure that the solder flows and lessen the chance of getting a cold solder joint. also when finished you will have less solder to clean up.

I would suggest that you make a Jig out of card stock that will hold all the parts firmly in the correct position. Dip the card stock in water it keep it from burning. take your solder and flatten it into a thin ribbon. Cut the ribbon into small lengths. brush on the flux you are using on the parts and its OK to be a little sloppy about it. Then place the small bits of solder on the joints to be soldered. Apply heat, I have used small butane troches on large assemblies. but normally a soldiering iron around 70 watts will do the job. This method will allow you make sure that the solder flows and lessen the chance of getting a cold solder joint. also when finished you will have less solder to clean up.
Thanks Jim for your recommendations, particularly flattening of the round solder to a ribbon which will stay in place better than a "roller bearing" rich

Whilst I am no solderer, on any heat sink in a computer, there is always a film of white heat transmission grease (not sure what it is called) that ensures 100% contact to transmit the heat, so maybe if using any clips as heat sinks, add a dollop of that.

Whilst I am no solderer, on any heat sink in a computer, there is always a film of white heat transmission grease (not sure what it is called) that ensures 100% contact to transmit the heat, so maybe if using any clips as heat sinks, add a dollop of that.
Would that be in addition to the flux or is it a flux itself? rich

Would that be in addition to the flux or is it a flux itself? rich
Hi Rich,

Personally I would not advocate the use of heat transfer paste, great for electronic components not so good for soldering, apart from the need to remove it after soldering it is not really intended to get that hot and may have some nasty fumes.
My recollection is that heat transfer paste does have some nasty chemicals in it.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back