Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

WOW PAUL !!!!!

Somehow I missed this posting answering my request. Fortunately I have seen it now.

WOW WOW WOW That is amazing.

Are those radio equipment working or just for display. Sorry my ignorance on the topic, as I do not understand if they are old/vintage or not.

Congratulations for such a nice room. Amazing !!!

Daniel
The radios are for my ham radio hobby.

After 18 months, the monster is finished. Actually I had a great time, the ship went together pretty much without any problems. The material and plans were first rate. The only thing I could fault is the castings as they aren't up to todays standards as fantastic results can be achieved with 3D printing. I am really happy with the result and it looks great in my display room. My more complete build log is here:

On to the pictures….
View attachment 263259View attachment 263260View attachment 263261View attachment 263262View attachment 263263View attachment 263264View attachment 263266View attachment 263267
How did you bend the thick piece under the bottom balcony of the poop deck on the port and starboard side to match the ships curve? Did you head it up

I'm not Paul, but I didn't bend that piece on mine. I had installed it before I got my heat gun. For the pieces around the aft chase guns, I used the heater, and I also used it for the swooping pieces in front. Without a heat gun, they would have broken. I heated it up to between 600 and 800 degrees Fahrenheit and used gloves.

I'm not Paul, but I didn't bend that piece on mine. I had installed it before I got my heat gun. For the pieces around the aft chase guns, I used the heater, and I also used it for the swooping pieces in front. Without a heat gun, they would have broken. I heated it up to between 600 and 800 degrees Fahrenheit and used gloves.
Awesome! Thanks for the info

After 18 months, the monster is finished. Actually I had a great time, the ship went together pretty much without any problems. The material and plans were first rate. The only thing I could fault is the castings as they aren't up to todays standards as fantastic results can be achieved with 3D printing. I am really happy with the result and it looks great in my display room. My more complete build log is here:

On to the pictures….
View attachment 263259View attachment 263260View attachment 263261View attachment 263262View attachment 263263View attachment 263264View attachment 263266View attachment 263267
It wasn’t until later that I realized that the rudder/hull hinge brackets are mounted upside down. Heavy sigh. I just hope the rudder doesn’t fall off in heavy seas.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jay
I'd like to take an opportunity and congratulate you on the completion of your beautiful model. It was a challenging but very interesting project, as the result, you are rewarded with such a wonderful model which will make a unique decoration to the place she will shine ON! Congrats!

BTW, what next??? Do you have a project in your mind?
absolutely stunning !!!!!

I have provided a link here to the build video of my 1/70 scale Soleil Royal that I finished two years ago. The model is produced by ZHL in China and is 41 inches long by 36 inches high. The video runs about 6 ½ minutes.

Back