Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

I"ve got the gunport patterns installed. You really need to carefully measure to get them installed correctly. I still had to cut out several bulkheads and deck sections to make room for the dummy cannon boxes. This is also my first try at using the brass nails. Not pretty. I'll remove them when everything is set, everything will be covered up with the next layer. My feet give an idea of the scale. It's big.
IMG_0641.jpgIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0644.jpg

I"ve got the gunport patterns installed. You really need to carefully measure to get them installed correctly. I still had to cut out several bulkheads and deck sections to make room for the dummy cannon boxes. This is also my first try at using the brass nails. Not pretty. I'll remove them when everything is set, everything will be covered up with the next layer. My feet give an idea of the scale. It's big.
View attachment 145862View attachment 145863View attachment 145864
Nice flip flops Lol

It looks great.I see that the manufacturer has fixed some errors.Take a closer look at the penultimate frame.I got a bad break.I had to fix the outline of the frames.And you don't want to bend the tank bulkhead.The Museum model has a bend.IMG_1046.JPGIMG_1047.JPGIMG_1051.JPGIMG_1052.JPGIMG_1053.JPGIMG_1054.JPG

Attachments

• g1669_Soleil_Royal_076.jpg
    g1669_Soleil_Royal_076.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 28
MR.Deep,
Yes - I recall seeing your post about this. I will watch this area closely as I plank the hull so I can avoid the strange curvature.

About the tank bulkhead - is your photo correct? I have it straight, but I see that the museum model is curved like yours.

Thanks for showing this!

View attachment 145862View attachment 145863View attachment 145864
So, cutting through the bulkheads didn't foul up the intregrity of the framing?

I don't think so - I tried to attach the top and bottom of the gunport framing to the bulkhead where I had to remove wood.

Hi Paul. This is the second time now in the last two days that I read of a kit where the bulkheads need to be cut away (or are in the way) to accommodate the cannon boxes. Strange that this kit which is such a well-designed package also fell foul of that. From the picture, I don't think you need to worry about structural rigidity - it's just extra work.

In my opinion, all sets sin such things.How many were built according to the drawings of the sets,everywhere it is found.There's nothing wrong with that.The main thing is to glue the primary skin well.Do not forget to glue the edges of the planks together.I have it all the time at Royal William.WP_20171030_009.jpgWP_20171030_011.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!
In the meantime - this is what happens when you forget to install 3 cannon carriages. I had to do a little surgery. I will attach the carriages using 5 minute epoxy - don't want them to come loose after all of this trouble. The carriages can't be seen - so I built them accordingly.
IMG_0646.jpgIMG_0647.jpgIMG_0648.jpg

Original!Why not on wheels?And it is better to fasten the carriages on pins.You drill through the gun carriage and deck.You can insert a toothpick on the glue.Good luck building it.

I advise Paul to make new carriages.I would do it myself now.There is nothing complicated.The drawing can be taken from Ambitieux.

Paulв.Can I ask knowledgeable people in your topic?How did the Sorlin mount look on French ships of this time period?

I have carriages on order from Syren made of boxwood and much more detailed. I will use them in the visible areas. I know the above one's look horrible, but they just serve the purpose of holding the cannon barrels and won't be seen at all.
I have modified the tank bulkhead to look more like the museum model.
IMG_0654.jpgIMG_0655.jpg

Dear, dear, that's bad!It was necessary to withstand the plywood in hot water.Bend more carefully.

I will smooth out with the next planking covering. I'm not worried. I actually cut slices in the inside so the plywood would bend easier.

Back