SoS Fundraiser Project

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

OK, in discussion in another thread, I brought up subject of having a nice large or medium size project kit to be sold to fund the SoS forum operating costs.

My suggestion was a Battle Station kit, but that has copyright issues.

So I am opening this discussion up to moderators and members to discuss what would you be interested in for a project we can get together and sell to SoS members as a group build and fund raiser for the great work done on this forum!

A cross section build is good in 1:48 or 1:32 and small enough not to take up too much shelf space. Or maybe a small boat like the recently posted Sharpie, simple small project with little rigging required.

This project could be a good gift to give away to family and friends.

So lets hear your thoughts, and for those who might be willing to help develop a new project what your thoughts are as well.

If we don't ask, the answer will always be no! Then Donnie has to ask for yearly donations again when the time comes.

Hello Kurt
Good idea I'm up for that I can't help with development as not knowledgable enough but I certainly would buy as long as its out of wood to help out.
Only suggestion I could make is maybe a stage coach, plane or a mobile gizmo to sit on a desk like a solar system, maybe a plan set for those
who like to scratch build. You have my 2 pence worth good luck with it.

Kurt, interesting concept and this might work "along" with the regular donations. There are a few things that has to be accounted for. The developement for a full blown kit is a lot of work. This comes to mind: First the design (CAD), Prototyping for accuracy, choosing wood, choosing wood supplier that would participate, printing of plans, packaging, boxing, and shipping. I am certainly not trying to minimize your idea. Now, if you only wanted the sell the prints, that would be some easier. I have discussed this with Mike41 in the past about selling plans. Setting up the method of payment and developing a link to download the plans upon payment. Creating a link on the site with a paypal link to purchase - this is also another separate logistics as well.

Actually, I have thought of something similar, but just the opposite and that is to give away a free kit. Like having a sweepstakes or raffle. For instance those that donated $50 or more would have their name automatically entered into a drawing (lot). Then a closure date would be established. The kit would be named at the beginning. The kit would be something like the new Bluenose, Alert, or Le coureur or something similar that would be available at the time. The kit would be shipped from the vendor / retailer / supplier straight to winners address.
A fair logistics would have to be in place that would be a mechanism that would choose from random a name. Maybe a computer program to choose the name.

A good idea to supplement the operating costs. I think actually developing a kit is difficult and the sunk costs of equipment required might exceed the value of one or a few kits. Donnie explains it very well. Thus the idea of a kit raffle bubbles up as a better possibility. Another idea is a book and plan set to raffle for a scratch build.

Great ideas all, keep them coming!

Donnie I do like the raffle method, much easier on logistics and management.

Possibly a kit, maybe we can talk to one of the venders to donate such a kit, it would give them free publicity.

Also a second place or second raffle for a book or set of plans from ANCRE to go with one of group build kits.

Just trying to give an option to help raise funds and support the work going into this forum, beside asking for annual donations.

I have donated and don't mind doing so, but many others may be more willing to spend $20 for plans, or $50 for a kit, with hopes of winning one or the other.

Maybe some of the admins or staff have contacts with venders and can ask them to donate.

Actually, SOS would probably purchase the kit from the manufacture. It would be worked out in advance via communications with the vendor and the winner's physical address would then be supplied to the vendor for straight shipping.

I also love the idea of perhaps a monographie from ANCRE.fr The monographie again in this case would be purchased by SOS.

The admin staff has connections to all these companies to do such a thing.

EDIT:
yes, we have vendor(s) that actually do donate. However, It would not be good practice to release the name(s).
We also probably need to have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners to allow for more folks to have a chance at something. You can also have 1 grand winner, 2 or 3 -2nd place winners and perhaps 5 to 7 -3rd place winners.

I know that for instance Micro Mark, Model Expo, and even ANCRE has gift cards that can be bought. So, the gift cards could go to the 3rd place winners. All of this is ideas, but it is worth investigating - just hope that I remember.

I will look for a computer program that chooses at random a name

Last edited:
I am more than willing to support the forum with donations. However the forum should let us know what the per member cost is too keep the forum viable. The alternative is to make a specific amount request. basically don't let me decide what donation is necessary to properly support the forum. If need be membership could be a yearly cost item.

How about popup adds for NON members. On other modeling forums that I actively participate on if you are not a member than you will get popup ads. Also access to information that can be downloaded is restricted to members only. This ad revenue can supply a steady stream of monies to keep the forum going.

The Idea of a raffle is also viable. However if a model was offered that I would not purchase for myself than I may not be willing to purchase a ticket. I would also suggest other items that could be on the raffle such as a high quality hand and power tools.

Jim

Back