Sovereign Of The Seas 1:78

Hello Sparrow,

nice progress on your build. I know it is a shame that the planking of the deck is not correct, but I decided to keep it as it is.
Another question: Have you thought about a colour scheme.

Last edited:
Hi Uwek thanks for your help!
For the butt shift system it's meant the plunk or the deck of the ship? Because the first plank I did it with lime strips the white ones and for the second plank I have walnut strips so I can do it; but for the deck I don't have enough material
I was thinking about purely the deck planking - I am sure, there is not enough strip material within the kit, so I would look around and order from a supplier additional strips, enough for the deck-planking. Or using the kit-plate with the pattern and you lay on top thin veneer-planking strips.
But this additional strip material you have to buy in addition - It is only my opinion: You will work for several hundred hours on this model......
Later on, when the ship model is finished, the first view of everybody (and you also) will go on the deck with the guns etc......
But as I mentioned: my personal subjective opinion.....

Take a look at one of the latest posts.....here you can compare how it is looking like - original kit and planked individual

Nice progress -
regarding the weather deck - I also agree with Uwe - planking is the way to go - I will also plank the upper deck. This kit has so many possibilities for "bashing"
that I think that you might later regret looking at the kit provided printed deck. hmmm? The McKay book should offer superb detailed drawings for bashing suggestions as well.

She's on my wish list. Contacted Cornwall Model Boats - they are also out of stock; Italy will take a while to get itself back together especially for hobby type of products IMO. Pricing at Corwall, given the USD and Euro exchange rates make this kit a real bargain. I did also order the John McKay book should arrive this week.

Cheers,

Hello everyone,
I have build three sailing ships in the past 8 years (HMS bounty - La Couronne - The Harvey) and I am now thinking to buy something more challanging. The Wasa has been always my favourite but prices around Melbourne for this model are about 1000 dollars and more for Corel kit, quite expensive. I have found instead the Wasa 1:75 Billing Boats cheaper online but this kit has 1 plank only and I am wondering if this is enough, and also the material looks like pine or something similar. I know that walnut is one of the best but, What do you think it is worth?
Hallo @Sparrow ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Hallo Sparrow. About your thoughts about Billing or Corel. I must say I prefer Corel double planking and valnut. I've built Vasa, both Billing and Corel. Big difference! Corel also has Bellona. Take a look. It's really nice. Expensive? Well, it's absolutly worth it./ Gotland

Hello everyone,
I have build three sailing ships in the past 8 years (HMS bounty - La Couronne - The Harvey) and I am now thinking to buy something more challanging. The Wasa has been always my favourite but prices around Melbourne for this model are about 1000 dollars and more for Corel kit, quite expensive. I have found instead the Wasa 1:75 Billing Boats cheaper online but this kit has 1 plank only and I am wondering if this is enough, and also the material looks like pine or something similar. I know that walnut is one of the best but, What do you think it is worth?
Hallo @Sparrow
We wish you all the best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I personally would not touch a Billings Boat kit. Nor any other large model with single plank. May I suggest keeping an eye out on the "for sale" (ie 2nd hand but unmade) sites.

Back