Spanish Caravel Santa Maria Amati 1:200 Scale

Hi Mike,
You must the patience of a saint to take on this project. Jewelers loop is a must.
Roger.

Ahoy Shipmate,
With all the hoop la over photos over for the time being. I was able to do a few things on my little ship.
I removed the old siding and re-cut new sides. and installed the upper deck.
Thanks for visiting my build log.

IMG_1607 (2).JPGIMG_1639 (2).JPGIMG_1640 (2).JPGIMG_1641 (2).JPGIMG_1653 (2).JPGIMG_1654 (2).JPGIMG_1655 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike

Look like the build is going along just nicely. Nice work

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Zoly & Geoff for visiting my build log. Yes it is tiny. When I bought it I didn't know what I was buying and I can't abandon a project. So when I get stumpt I shift gears for a while.

Ahoy Shipmates,
Another installment from the leetle sheep yard. I have cut three different pieces of wood trying to find a good siding for this model. Finaly I think I have a solution. I will double plank this ship with a veneer of sappli that I have. Before that happens I have allot of sanding to do. The instructions called for scoring the sides to simulate planking but that didn't sound good.
Thanks for visiting

IMG_1668 (2).JPGIMG_1669 (2).JPG

Hello Mike

Very nice job you are doing on your Santa Marie, golly she sure is on the tiny side and here I was thinking that my Golden Hinds was on the small size, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
Thank for your visit to my build log. I plan to use a filler putty to fill in the nicks and the old scribe lines. then use veneer planks to give her a more old ship look. I don't like using metal deck fitting if I don't have to.

Ahoy Ship Mates,
Back in the Ship Yard cracking the whip on my work gang. This will be a short up date just to illustrate the filler I'm using to prepare the ship for Her veneer coat of planks.

IMG_1668 (2).JPGIMG_1669 (2).JPGIMG_1673 (2).JPGIMG_1674 (2).JPGIMG_1675 (2).JPG

Ahoy Mateys,

This will be a short update, no pun intended. I have been sanding between solidworks sessions, and now I'm just about ready to do my veneer planking. Smooth Sailing and Happy Modeling.

IMG_1677 (2).JPGIMG_1682 (2).JPGIMG_1687 (2).JPGIMG_1688 (2).JPGIMG_1689 (2).JPGIMG_1690 (2).JPG

Ahoy Mateys,
Once again her is a short update from my ship yard. I first plank is very delicate and I am so clumsy I had to put the hand rail braces in to beef up the sides.
Thanks for your visit to my build log

IMG_1691 (2).JPGIMG_1692 (2).JPGIMG_1693 (2).JPGIMG_1694 (2).JPGIMG_1695 (2).JPGIMG_1696 (2).JPG

Ahoy Shipmates,
Here is another update from my ship yard. I have been working on getting the hand rail installed. I'm using box wood that I have from another project. I used MINIWAX WOOD FINISH penetrating stain, Honey #272. To give it a dark contrasting color. enjoy.

IMG_1705 (2).JPGIMG_1706 (2).JPGIMG_1707 (2).JPGIMG_1715 (2).JPGIMG_1716 (2).JPGIMG_1717 (2).JPGIMG_1718 (2).JPGIMG_1719 (2).JPG

Hi Mike

On my logo I had "Live, Listen and Learn'

We have some very experienced Model Ship builder on SOS willing to guide the less experienced Model ship builder.

I know of a very experienced Model Ship builder and he said to me he is still learning.

In another post I saw today was the word "friendships". Thais what model ship building is all about.

We love out hobby together.

Cheers
Geoff

Ahoy Shipmates,
No I didn't gone over the side in a gale, and I didn't jump ship. I've been jumping around between projects.

When I first started to plank this model I thought to use what was in the kit.

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

I did not, however , like the way the kit builder made the planks then I realized I could do like a second planking with veneer. So here it is. I think it will look good.

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

If you look at the forecastle you can see how scoring the wood looks cheesy.

Ahaoy Shipmates,
One of the nice things about working on a small ship is it doesn't take long to see progress. I finished up the planking and I am happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_0613.JPGIMG_0614.JPGIMG_0615.JPGIMG_0616.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0619.JPG

I have been thinking of replacing many of the accessories that are made of metal. Even though this is a kit model I have bashed it quite a bit.
That is what makes this hobby FUN.

Back