Spanish Longboat - Falua - By Schrader 1:25 - Plans By Isidro Rivera

Hello all

I want to share this construction log, about the Spanish Longboat, that could be converted to Falúa (Luxury Longboat for Officers).
The plans have been developed by Isidro Rivera, well known spanish naval researcher, who has many papers, books and plans already published. I have the fortune to be in contact permanently with him, Jose Collado who is his partner in construction, and a bunch of really good guys, who are always, willing to help when I need it.

I started the 17th of February and.......

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48fb.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48fc.jpg

This kind of Ship, could be developed with three different methods:

1. False Frames
  2. Solid hull mold
  3. Construction Jig
Since I decided to work with Solid Hull mold in my previous project, I decided to start a new adventure in this one, with False Frames....so the first step is.......
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48fd.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_48fe.jpg

To build the false frames.

Here we are ......

During the week, I finally saw the light.....UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_491c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_491d.jpg

I liked the wood color contrast. Since those are tropical woods, I had no idea how they would look like, after the danish oil. I really liked it.

NOTE: The keel is in tropical mahogany which is more light and the hull is in tolua

Last edited:
Finally, copying the Jose Collado idea, I decided to work in the stern/officials floor. Introducing a Compass Rose.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4920.jpg

For this effect, I decided to go after a "parquet" method.

1. I took basswood and abarco. (tropical wood), and cut the triangles according with the molUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4921.jpg
  2. I arrange those triangles according to the mold
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4922.jpg

I glued them all

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4923.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4924.jpg

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4921.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4921.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 4
Back